London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
4 messages
25/03/2013 at 22:54

I have daffs that have been around a long time, hazel has grown up around them and they are shaded and crowded. Is it worth moving and splitting or will they be worn out and best to forget them?

25/03/2013 at 23:11

Nutcutlet, I lift mine after flowering and put them in a sheltered nursery bed or pots to feed the bulbs, remove the dead heads. If they have been in a long time and are doing nothing then you have nothing to lose in lifting them and easing them into pots or a bed to let them take some nourishment, a place that gets a couple of hours sun a day will do.
When the foliage has gone then lift them clean them and dry them for the Autumn. When you replant them give them some room and a place where they will get some sun.
Hope this helps although some would say bin them and start with fresh, I always try the recovery rout first.

Frank.

26/03/2013 at 08:04

Thanks Frank. I hate throwing plants out. These were nothing special, Carlton if I remember correctly.

I also have some called Sweetness, lovely scent. They're not crowded yet or shaded but they've but they flowered very poorly from year 2. Not sure I'll make too much effort there

26/03/2013 at 08:05

Thanks for that, Frank. I'll remember that advice.

email image
4 messages