6 messages
20/04/2014 at 18:11

I have a lot of dahlia tubers in my house at the minute the last frost date is the 2nd week of may for my area. Will they be protected enough in a cold frame, mini greenhouse if I put them in the start of may. I grew a lot last year but had room to keep them all indoors but at the moment it is getting like a bit of jungle in here.

20/04/2014 at 19:42

I'd say they should be ok in a coldframe providing the lid is down overnight . If there is a frost forecast, you could stick a piece of old carpet, sacking etc over the top for extra protection. We've not had a cold winter,but don't be complacent. Mine are still in garage with the doors open during the day.

20/04/2014 at 21:41

Yeah I don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security with the temps I may shove them in my mini greenhouse is a couple of weeks.

20/04/2014 at 21:56

Hi Cairnsie, as you know I live close to you. My dahlias have been potted up for about a month and are sprouted. None are indoors but are in my un heated greenhouse and a polythene cold frame. Like hosta fan suggests I'll give them extra protection if it gets very cold but they have been fine so far.

20/04/2014 at 21:57

got mine in  the coldframe

21/04/2014 at 11:50

ok ill put them out thanks

email image
6 messages