Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dahlia tubers dried & wrinkled

Some of my dahlia tubers (10 out of 60) have been "dried and wrinkled" during winter hibernation in my garage. I have sprayed them throughout the months and now tried to mist more and also kept half of the day in moist moss-compost mix. I am now wondering if they will "survive"  and grow when/if placed into new compost? How much "wrinkles" is too much? Thanks for all responses! Wishes from Finland. 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I lift my Dahlia in November and regrow in Feb/March, so the dormancy period is as short as possible. I left them, allow the soil to dry off, cut off what needs to go and then repot with soil. That keeps the tubers turgid. I would not store them bone dry. So I advise you to repot with dryish compost. but keep them dark.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If they're soft, you've lost them. If they're firm then when it comes to potting them up soak them in warm, water for 24hrs before potting them.  The storage advice given by blairs, dry sand/compost is the best way to store them over winter.

Last year I lost some due to fungal disease, this year none...but the smallest one dried out. Thanks Dave for the soaking tip. Seems that at least half of them will recover. Two of them show new buds after 2 days...I potted them today. Just in case, I ordered some 50 tubers more.

• Juniper4Juniper4 Posts: 79
    Hi I got given dahlia tuber for Xmas. Forgot about them and only got them out now. They are wrinkled and light. I've soaked them in water for 2 days. Do you think there's any chance for it surviving?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    Theres always a chance. I noticed that a tuber that I had thrown out as dead has just started sending up a shoot. If I can keep the,slugs off it, it has a chance.
  • Thanks so much. I bought Dahlia bulbs that are totally shrivelled and thank you for your advice. Now I can save them.

• @ Tropical Sam -Am following your foot steps :) brought my tubers in and once dry... will pot them in a pot full of dry compost. Is it best to cover the pot with a black bag to avoid light going in & to stop the tubers from sprouting  ?? Please advice. I live in South East England. 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 433
    I bought tubers from wilko last year when they were on sale, they looked pretty shriveled and dry but grew really well so it's worth a go.