London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
4 messages
01/02/2012 at 17:56

I've just received my delivery of Dahlia Tubers and all of the instructions say to plant in spring once the soil has warmed. As we have a cold snap forecast for the coming weeks, can I store my tubers in the shed (cold but dry) for a few weeks?  The tubers are soil free and in great condition so don't want to risk losing them.

01/02/2012 at 18:06

Hi Sallyann Ive got mine stored in my shed in a seed tray and they seem just fine. I will be planting mine when the weather is warmer. They say that they should be lifted at the end of the season, as I did, but my late father-in-law left his in the ground and they flowered their socks off every year, he was a very good gardener, so I'm going to do the same this year. Mind you I am in Bournemouth so it is milder here than other places. They are lovely though and make lovely cut flowers. Good Luck

G.1
03/02/2012 at 23:31
Sallyann1964 wrote (see)

I've just received my delivery of Dahlia Tubers and all of the instructions say to plant in spring once the soil has warmed. As we have a cold snap forecast for the coming weeks, can I store my tubers in the shed (cold but dry) for a few weeks?  The tubers are soil free and in great condition so don't want to risk losing them.

Cold but dry is fine.

Hope that helps.

09/02/2012 at 23:28

They won't take much frost if they are just bare tubers. I hope your shed is reasonably frost free. In this weather it is better to put them in a box, cardboard will do, and cover them in dry soiless compost as insulation. A cool but airy place indoors might be better, but they may start shooting which could be a problem for you if you have no greenhouse or cold frame to protect them and give them some light when in growth.

email image
4 messages