London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
4 messages
31/05/2013 at 13:03

I planted out my dahlia tubers last weekend and some plants now have faded green / yellowing leaves. Is it still too cold? Should I protect them at night with a cloche or dig them up and put them back in the greenhouse? Any advice welcome!

31/05/2013 at 13:14

I think you are correct.  Did you rush into putting,them out without hardening them off. No. Leave them out now....they probably will be ok

If the night temperatures are say about 6 degrees or more......your area will be more than that now.....you can put your dahlias and other summer plants outside but they need to be "hardened off".  That means,putting plants outside during the day and bringing them in at night.  You do this for maybe a week,or so then they become "hardened" to outside comditions.

Enjoy your plants Outdoor girl

31/05/2013 at 14:45

Thanks for that! I have placed  bottomless pots around them to try & keep off the northerly winds for the next few days. I did harden them off but the wind was not quite so cold!

01/06/2013 at 00:14

You could push some canes in and peg fleece to them with clothes pegs to protect them.

email image
4 messages