6 messages
18/03/2014 at 18:56

My Dahlias have started growing from the tubers I have lifted and dried I have potted them but I have no greenhouse.

I can either leave them out and possibly fleece (although I don't have any) or put them in my spare room. Overnight lowsare minimum 7oC tonight

Thanks

18/03/2014 at 19:04

Hiya lizness,

Cold part of the world with you I think.

Fleece will not be enough I think.  Indoors overnight is best or can you cover with polythene...fleece below....?  If indoors try to take outside during the day if not too cold 

Good luck 

18/03/2014 at 19:09

Thought so, got a bit over excited with myself!

18/03/2014 at 19:10

Never get over excited Lizness 

18/03/2014 at 22:13

Yes. Give them some protection.  I take it that the tubers are lightly surrounded by peat or similar.   Keep the cmpost moist but not soaking.   The tubers have a reserve store of water and feed.  Keep an eye on the new shoots.  When a shoot has made two to three pairs of leaves.  You can slice these off.  Some folks cut to the tuber.  I prefer to cut,leaving a stump.  The cuttings can then be potted up, in some cases a little hormone rooting powder or gell is useful.

18/03/2014 at 23:50

It's going to freeze over the next few days and weekend so I'd bring them indoors till this cold snap has passed. They will be fine on a sunny windowsill.

email image
6 messages