London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
16/05/2014 at 09:24

YEAH! now that's a good lawn in my books! might not be ideal for a game of boules, but sure does look pretty! might be trying to pinch this idea soon! 

16/05/2014 at 11:07

it looks so pretty

So, would Daisy seeds need to be sown in the same way as you would sow grass seed or other wild flower seeds, ie onto bare soil? I have Daisies on my lawned area, I cut around them when cutting the grass. Would love to have more Daisies

16/05/2014 at 11:17
hartleyhare wrote (see)

it looks so pretty

So, would Daisy seeds need to be sown in the same way as you would sow grass seed or other wild flower seeds, ie onto bare soil? I have Daisies on my lawned area, I cut around them when cutting the grass. Would love to have more Daisies

You can cut the lawan short and top dress, that is mix the seed with a light mixture 50:50 sand and compost and scatter that over the are. Obviously that's not as practical if you have a large area but it might be the best solution rather than digging up you lawn. I just grow the daisies in pots, divide them and plant them out but my short wild flower lawn isn't very big and my dogs poach it. 

16/05/2014 at 17:05

My daisy seeds have arrived today!! Hurrah!

I've decided to grow  them in pots in greenhouse first then put into the lawn as plugs to fill any bare patches. That way I have more control too.

I mowed the lawn two days ago but they are all flowering again now. Will be walking through them this weekend! 

16/05/2014 at 20:45
Absolutely love your lawn. Just need a cunning plan: get the seeds, then tackle OH not to use weed n feed. Didn't know you could still mow the grass and get daisies 2 days later, it might convince him if its kept tidy by regular mowing. I notice you said you mowed once a fortnight, would that be the least time you'd advise between mows to allow flowers to start growing again? i can feel another project coming on.
16/05/2014 at 21:37

Gorgeous! Was it a grass lawn that you added daisies too, Kittyrose, or is it grass free?

18/05/2014 at 06:42

Hi super noodle - yes it's a grass lawn that I have introduced daisies too and am encouraging to take over. Daisies not only look pretty but they really do stay greener and lush in drought and tolerate both sun and deep shade areas. We are on solid clay here on bottom of the South Downs so they don't mind wet feet either!. The acid in dog pee doesn't kill them either like normal grass so no more bald patches!

Hi mrsgarden - we mow it at least every two weeks, but weekly if wet and warm. Every month we use the mulching setting on the lawn mower which finely shreds the lawn cuttings and leaves them on top (you don't see it like normal grass clippings). We only do this to try and spread any daisy seeds to propagate. Now I have sown daisy seeds in the greenhouse I hope to fill in bald areas with plugs.

18/05/2014 at 06:59

MrsG - the daisies are so low growing compared to grass that they'll get a chance to dodge the mower most of the time so they should get a good foothold unless you're scalping it. A cunning plan indeed - you could always sneak out at night with your daisy plugs! The big problem for me would be keeping dandelions and buttercups out

I think Kittyrose is going to start a lovely new trend!  

18/05/2014 at 07:14

My dad loves the daisies in his lawn. He's had them for years and will be delighted to know that he is a trend setter.

18/05/2014 at 07:44

kitty that's beautiful,my little girl picked up a daisy that had been uprooted, i would never have dug it up but it was just lying there on the path in a park so i planted that, hope it takes,

18/05/2014 at 07:59

cheers Kittyrose.   theres a small area in my garden grand plan where it might work well so pencilling it in!

Do you get lots of bees on it? My friend mentioned last night that she must cut her lawn because it's covered in daisies.  When I suggested she leave it she said no because it attracted bees. I said but that's a good thing! She said no because her son goes on it barefoot, and he'll stand on them and get stung. Not thought of that before. Could it be an issue with young children, Kittyrose?

18/05/2014 at 08:14

i walk around barefoot all summer,never trod on a bee yet.

18/05/2014 at 08:28

I'm bare foot all the time outside and find bees tend to stay in the borders on more pollen rich plants than on the daisies. Ive never trodden on one and my nieces and nephews have never trodden on any in their 10 years of staying with me.  it keeps the kids busy picking them and making daisy chains too! 

18/05/2014 at 10:31

That helps, thanks.  I've plenty of other temptations in the garden for bees.

I stood on a wasp last year.  surprised by the pain! Excrutiating!

daisy chains! That brings back memories of making massive ones up and down my drive as a child!

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages