17 messages
23/06/2013 at 21:41

I grew this from seed as Daphne acutiloba. It's in its third year and needed planting out. I went to the internet to see what it would like. First thing I read is 'not hardy'. It's been outside for 2 winters now. Then 'is often mistaken for D. longilobata, that seems to be quite a tall one. Does anyone know their daphnes well enough to say which this is? It's evergreen and has put on quite a bit of growth this season so not a slow grower. Daphne tangutica at the same age is much smaller.

I know it's not; tangutica, odora, bhuloa, or Eternal Fragrance. They're the only ones I'm familiar with. Still rather a lot to choose from

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26131.jpg?width=608&height=350&mode=max

It wasn't buy one get one free  

23/06/2013 at 22:05

I don't always trust the "not hardy"  I have had hardy gerberas that are anything but.

I grew Acnistus australis which was supposed to be tender but survived  5 years until the _15c frost we had.  One of its offspring had started growing against the house wall. It survived.  Hardy Eucalyptus gunnii all succumbed around here. My Eucalyptus perriniana which is not supposed to be  as hardy survived.

You won't know until it flowers.

23/06/2013 at 22:08

Thanks fb, Might not be too long a wait. Just about everything you can see is this year's growth

23/06/2013 at 22:11

I lost my daphne bholua, but I found a seedling 6ft away.  I havn't moved it because every time I have tried to transplant one before, it has died. I might have to move the path, since it is 6 inch away, and the last bush grew to 6ft and a 2ft width

23/06/2013 at 22:15

That's a wonderful plant, I tried but didn't please it. Friends have a magnificent one i can go and sniff.

23/06/2013 at 22:19

The first one I had was grafted. It grew to 6ft and then the graft failed. The second one was on its own roots. That went in the -15c frost, along with a 20 yr old huge phormium. The phormium rootstock survived and is sending up new shoots, but its going to be a long time before its back to its former glory.

In full bloom, Daphne Bholua  looks like a giant hyacinth, and scents the entire garden. Actually the seedling i've got doesn't look that dissimilar to yours.

23/06/2013 at 22:23

RHS describes Daphne Bholua Jacqueline Postill as borderline hardy. I would say it ok to -10c

23/06/2013 at 22:34

...I've got Jacqueline Postill, it's about 5 or 6 foot tall but doesn't flower much...I think I had maybe 5 flowers this Spring.. I've had it 3 years... survived the winters unscathed and I'm in East Anglia... it's growing madly at the moment so I hope to get more flowers this winter otherwise I shall be very disappointed.... I had one on the south coast and it was in full flower in January....

...if anyone is tempted to buy the variety called 'Eternal Fragrance'...  [I paid about £35...]... be warned... to get the scent you have to stick your nose into it... I don't get much from just 'passing by'...so to speak...

'Odora' is supposed to be nice...

23/06/2013 at 22:54

odora has a wonderful scent but that died on me. The friends with the wonderful bhuloa have a very sheltered town garden and odora does well there too.

Eternal fragrance isn't much to get excited about I agree Salino. Glad I didn't pay much, £5 or so, it was very small. Much prefer tangutica for scent and making red berries and fertile seeds. EF doesn't look 'lively' though it flowers well enough, just dull looking.

23/06/2013 at 23:30

Eternal fragrance, for me, is highly scented.and it will flower during the summer when the others are asleep as it did last year.Having said all that, mine currently has no flowers.  

24/06/2013 at 06:24

Mmm, I'm having a think about finding space for a daphne - 

24/06/2013 at 09:49

No flowers on mine at present either Verdum.

Tangutica is very reliable summer flowerer Dove. The winter ones are fantastic but don't last for me

02/10/2013 at 12:53

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32002.jpg?width=240&height=320&mode=max

Hi all...very interesting Daphne chat....sorry Nutcutlet, can't help as know nothing bout Daphne (and most other gardening matters) but thought you might help me identify this which I inherited from my sister who doesn't know which one it is...sorry its a sideways pic..a bit new at all of this!! Just looking at it this am and notice that there are no signs of flowers....only planted it out recently and was hoping it might loose its unhealthy yellowy hue...not even sure what colour the leaves should be...would be very glad of any ideas!

11/08/2014 at 20:26

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/56173.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

This has grown a lot over the last year, has white flowers is rather lanky and for a daphne is surprisingly lacking scent. I can't smell anything.

Does it ring any bells now.

I might send it to Emma tomorrow but it's notmuch of a photo is it

23/08/2014 at 18:23

I've come to the conclusion that this is D,acutiloba as advertised. There's more references on the web now and only one says it's not hardy and I think that site has been translated from another  language and may be suspect. It comes from thousands of feet up a mountain, it must be hardy.

The flowers and shape are right. It's a bit short of scent but I'll see what next year brings. It's a fast grower for a daphne

23/08/2014 at 21:33

the foliage looks like my jims pride which does pretty well for me-it defoliates every winter then blooms on bare wood. my carol mackie is 10 ft across by 4 high and is powerfully scented just at dusk on cool evenings.

23/08/2014 at 22:49

Hi David, this one is evergreen in the coldest winters and flowers in summer.. I don't think it's going to be a top class garden plants, it's too leggy. Though everything has grown enormously here over the last year and future years might see it thicken up 

email image
17 messages