Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

day lilies

granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I am disappointed in my day lillies this year  .most plant's have not had a flower and the others have only had the odd one .Is this something else I can blame on the cold August?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

in North Devon, mine have been fine

Devon.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Mine had the best flowers ever since I've had them in the garden, but they had finished flowering by the end of July. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

cold snap in the last few weeks perhaps has taken its toll, However, I'm not disappointed in the performance this year of my  20 odd varieties .

Devon.
  • CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Mine were new in this year and yes, I must admit that they were a little like a damp squid.  Plenty of promise but then fizzled out to maybe 4 flowers.  I assumed it was because they were new and they would be better next year.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Funny you asked as had mine in about 3 or 4 years and normally ok but this year just leaves that have gone yellow and will get binned when I get to that flower bed in the autumn clear out!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine didn't do too badly but I'm bored with most of them. Some will go for next year.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I only have one variety (and not sure what it is) but they have been lovely, seemed to flower for ages and have only just finished this week, the leaves are now going yellow.

Im splitting mine, I think I need to do it in the spring?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You need to split them every 4 years,or they wont flower, I think its ok to do it now, I do, just separate them up and cut the green leaves (or yellow!) Down to a few inches, they will flower next year.

We are always 3 weeks behind most peoples gardens here so mine are still flowering but I only have the pale orange ones.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Thanks Lyn, better get mine split then or I won't have any flowers next year a it has been in 4 years imageimage I'll do it in a couple of weeks, just let the last few flowers finish.

• I have grown day lilies in shade and poor soil above chalk in France near Paris and in heavy clay in full sun in East Anglia for nearly 20 years each time without splitting them and they have just kept on flowering, thriving on neglect.

i have now planted a 15m 'river' of mixed varieties along the top of a bank, with crocus tommasinus, anaemony blanda, and mostly species tulips to prevent the weeds from the wild, lower side of the bank from intruding onto the higher garden side. It is 3 years old now and works very well. The first year only the yellow fragrant hemerocallis flowered from late summer until the first frosts. Last year, the yellow ones flowered in the spring, followed by the red ones (approx 60 cm high). Which continued all summer. This year the yellow ones flowered in spring, (with a few flowering again now!) and the red ones have just finished and have lots of swollen seed pods. I shall be taking out some of the red ones and replacing them with lighter colours for more impact.

The tulips other than the species are bulbs that had previously been in pots. Not only have they flowered in this border, but the flowers have increased since they were planted there!