1 to 20 of 28 messages
28/08/2014 at 20:59

I am disappointed in my day lillies this year  .most plant's have not had a flower and the others have only had the odd one .Is this something else I can blame on the cold August?

28/08/2014 at 22:23

in North Devon, mine have been fine

28/08/2014 at 22:30

Mine had the best flowers ever since I've had them in the garden, but they had finished flowering by the end of July. 

28/08/2014 at 22:32

cold snap in the last few weeks perhaps has taken its toll, However, I'm not disappointed in the performance this year of my  20 odd varieties .

28/08/2014 at 22:48

Mine were new in this year and yes, I must admit that they were a little like a damp squid.  Plenty of promise but then fizzled out to maybe 4 flowers.  I assumed it was because they were new and they would be better next year.

28/08/2014 at 22:53

Funny you asked as had mine in about 3 or 4 years and normally ok but this year just leaves that have gone yellow and will get binned when I get to that flower bed in the autumn clear out!

28/08/2014 at 22:57

Mine didn't do too badly but I'm bored with most of them. Some will go for next year.

28/08/2014 at 23:19

I only have one variety (and not sure what it is) but they have been lovely, seemed to flower for ages and have only just finished this week, the leaves are now going yellow.

Im splitting mine, I think I need to do it in the spring?

Lyn
29/08/2014 at 00:07

You need to split them every 4 years,or they wont flower, I think its ok to do it now, I do, just separate them up and cut the green leaves (or yellow!) Down to a few inches, they will flower next year.

We are always 3 weeks behind most peoples gardens here so mine are still flowering but I only have the pale orange ones.

29/08/2014 at 00:40
Lyn offers some valid points. Day lilies have really come on over the years, such a variety of colours etc. Sadly and often very disappointing for growers, there are increasing concerns regarding performance etc. Whether we like it or not, agree or disagree. Yes! Climate change is making it's mark, Sad to say. Not always to our favour. IMHO Might I suggest vthat each and everyone of us, keep a record and share that with each other. Cast aside fearsthat you might be laughed at foryour experiences. This is a very trying time for all of us. Post your high points and your lows. Believe me this is important. We are entering a new era of gardening.
29/08/2014 at 08:13

Thanks Lyn, better get mine split then or I won't have any flowers next year a it has been in 4 years  I'll do it in a couple of weeks, just let the last few flowers finish.

29/08/2014 at 09:19

I have grown day lilies in shade and poor soil above chalk in France near Paris and in heavy clay in full sun in East Anglia for nearly 20 years each time without splitting them and they have just kept on flowering, thriving on neglect.

i have now planted a 15m 'river' of mixed varieties along the top of a bank, with crocus tommasinus, anaemony blanda, and mostly species tulips to prevent the weeds from the wild, lower side of the bank from intruding onto the higher garden side. It is 3 years old now and works very well. The first year only the yellow fragrant hemerocallis flowered from late summer until the first frosts. Last year, the yellow ones flowered in the spring, followed by the red ones (approx 60 cm high). Which continued all summer. This year the yellow ones flowered in spring, (with a few flowering again now!) and the red ones have just finished and have lots of swollen seed pods. I shall be taking out some of the red ones and replacing them with lighter colours for more impact.

The tulips other than the species are bulbs that had previously been in pots. Not only have they flowered in this border, but the flowers have increased since they were planted there!

29/08/2014 at 09:23

Hi nut ,some of yours are coming out are they ,do you ant to do a soap for something or some seeds etc?

29/08/2014 at 09:28

That'll be a swap then gran? They won't need washing

There's a large flowered yellow one that might be  Mary Barnard or something like that, a lightish pink and a bright orange with a kind of extra bit stuck in the top, 

You're welcome. Some time in the early winter I should think

29/08/2014 at 09:36

HECK THIS KINDLE !!!!!!! it's done it again  , shall have to get the laptop out.  Before they put me out with the rubbish  or start wearing me specs.  

Anyway what it should have read and what I'm asking is nut if your thinning out do you want to do a swap for something your wanting  ( plant or seed ) ? If I have it. 

At the moment I'm collecting seed for the cottage garden and hardy plant society and now this forums seed swap if  I can. I grow as many different plants that I can for the seed swaps .

29/08/2014 at 09:41

Hi Gran, I'm having a big collection as well, very lax at sending to HPS though I've been a member for donkey's years and get seed from the list. Must do better. I think all mine went on this forum last year with a few to a local garden group.

PM me your address

29/08/2014 at 09:57

Thanks nut, how do you want to work it with the postage?  Also  have I to pm you with my list of seeds ?  Built this will be next week as. Grandkids are here for a sleepover till Monday.

I know from sending to the cottage gdn s that I can send you roughly  8 lots of seed for well under £2.

29/08/2014 at 11:36

We'll have  conference next week Gran. My Hermes is much cheaper than the post office

29/08/2014 at 12:40

I m  a bit ignorant living here in the back of beyond,  but what is Hermes ?

29/08/2014 at 13:23

Delivery service/courier thingy Gran 

A girl at work got very excited one day when she got (yet another) delivery and it was from Hermes. She thought it was from the French fashion company, and her husband had bought her something...

1 to 20 of 28 messages