London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
27/07/2013 at 13:28

I grow a few varieties of day lily.  Hyperion is an old scented yellow that I do like but generally they are clumsy looking plants and lack class.  (stir, stir stir)    I have some other lovely flower colours but,  simply to acquire them, may purchase a couple of double varieties.  For me they get huge within 2 or 3 years and would not plant these in 3s.  I tend to tuck them away a little so the flowers can be enjoyed but the foliage obscured. Unless dead headed almost daily they also look tired and unhappy....no, there are better plants..............discuss!

27/07/2013 at 13:50

Hi .Verdun. Well of course there has always been and always will be better plants to plant in our gardens but its all a matter of personal  likings and choice - not a lot different to clothing really is it?. We all wear what we like and to heck with fashion (certainly in my case) and I  also  apply this principle to plants - one persons meat etc etc etc.     I personally love any sword like foliage as a contrast to rounder and fluffier things.as with the old Antholiza we talked of recently - looks a treat to me but heres a confession - I will admit to all I am very much what I would call  "old school"  in my gardening preferences as indeed I am in so many things - I ask you to bear with me - above all though I ain't "stoopit".

Patty2. Wow thats some colour on your Daylily -  again if you like it well goodho - must say though that is a very apprpropriate name for it  - Pardon Me  -  Gor Blimey i think would be equally suitable. Have fun. Best wishes and nice to natter.

27/07/2013 at 13:58

Hey keen, I am always attracting comments  on,my sartorial style.....I say shirt tails hanging out is classy and worn out trousers and shoes is ." the way I like it"

Yes like sword shaped folkage too keen but day lilies lack it!!   Always enjoy bit of banter with you!  Oops. Got visitors I can argue with now.....ha ha 

27/07/2013 at 14:17

Hi Verdun. So you are another scruffy ...  in the garden then . gardening is all about relaxing for sure and that includes clothing.  As for the Daylilys foliage ain't what I said - I meant bent swords - ahem.

27/07/2013 at 14:18

Hi Matty2. An aplogy. When I just commented on your Daylily I used the name Patty2. Sorry about that - it was the turning the page i think that did it.  Regards.

27/07/2013 at 20:02

Hiya keen. Yep a scruffy I am.  My car is a tip, my clothes are never co-ordInated, and tools are just thrown onto the garage bench.  But, my garden is tidy...ish.  Odd isn't it?

27/07/2013 at 20:16

Verd - your cloak's always neat and tidy though love...

Daylilies...not really for me. Pretenders to the crown of 'real' Lilies - Longiflorums in particular 

30/07/2013 at 12:53

Hi Fairygirl. To each our own choices . Tell you what though  -  they are not troubled by that beetle or much else as i recall. Wish you could wave your wand and get rid of those on my containerised Lily's..

30/07/2013 at 16:47

Must agree, day lilies are robust. Pest free and disease free.  I have a nice Pink variety too.  But....as I mentioned before,.....the variegated Golden Zebra is a lovely plant.

30/07/2013 at 17:20

Hi Verdun. I will take you up on that and order plants.. Now tell me please -  when walking down the road the other day I passed a nearby garden which is a little better than the norm in terms of plants in it   -  nowt  overly exciting but over the wall was  a Daylily which was rather striking in itself.  A description best  I can  -  within the flowers alternate deep maroon stripes with alternate quite bright yellow - since you have said it it does indeed look a little Zebra like. Can this be it?.

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages