Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

Nerium oleander , or just Oleander ; a beautiful plant widely available in garden centres . Much planted out during the summer-months ; this is actually one of the worlds most poisonous plants (in the top five) . The leaves , or even the juice from them can be absolutely fatal to humans !

This is sold with virtually no warnings as to its toxicity . Stupid isn't it?

nutcutlet

but who eats the flower garden? They're full of 'deadly' plants and everyone chooses the one they think most deadly to worry about. 

scroggin

They're not being sold as an ' edible' so I can't see a problem myself. 

pansyface

NO, SLIPPERS AREN'T EDIBLE EITHER.....

Advertisement

Yviestevie

Loads of poisonous plants in my garden, the children and now the grandchildren were always told never to touch any of the plants in the garden without asking about them.  They didn't.

scroggin

Pansyface, my dog would beg to differ.

Pete8

I think it should me mentioned on the labels - taking a 'at least you've been told' approach.
I suspect the reason it's not is because there's no legislation that requires it, and if they did print a big POISONOUS on the label it's not going to help sales

pansyface

APPARENTLY, ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE, ONE OF THE REASONS PEOPLE END UP IN HOSPITAL WITH A SLIPPER RELATED INJURY IS PLAYING WITH A SLIPPER TO WHICH A DOG IS ATTACHED........

B3

If you're concerned about the toxicity of plants, you can always take responsibility for yourself and Google them before you buy them. If you think that the risk is unacceptable, then don't buy the plant.

Oleanders. One wonders how the people of the more southern parts of Europe survive having them everywhere.

punkdoc

Having spent a fair bit of time in the southern Med., which is full of Oleanders, it is a miracle that there are any people surviving.

My garden is full of foxgloves and aconitum and I am still alive.

Many on here will know I have had a recent encounter with euphorbia.

It turned into an ophthalmic emergency. I am still attending hospital.

It was entirely my own fault! I was complacent.   I have no intention of digging it out as it is doing what it is meant to do, i.e. Ground cover

my family will be made aware and children taught about plants without frightening them off the pleasure they can give

I have lots of other toxic plants. 

I also have goggles,gauntlets, wellies, skin screen sprays, a first aid box ........................

Hostafan1

and avoid that scary rhubarb, the leaves are highly poisonous too.

Hostafan1

Paul B3, how many folk in the UK have ever  died as a result of these plants?

Advertisement

debs64

I have a strict "look but don't touch " policy in my garden which applies to adults and children alike! Can't keep my crazy cat off the catmint though! 

I think it was Sir Terry Pratchett who paid tribute to the thousands of our cave dwelling forebears who died in order that we might know which plants are poisonous. 

Hemlock grows all over the place 'round here

Pete8 says:

I think it should me mentioned on the labels - taking a 'at least you've been told' approach.
I suspect the reason it's not is because there's no legislation that requires it, and if they did print a big POISONOUS on the label it's not going to help sales

See original post

The real problem with that is not the effect on sales, it's the effect on people who then see a plant with no 'poisonous' label and think that means it's safe to eat. A bit like 'Danger cliff edge' notices all around the coast. You start with a notice at a particularly high bit, and people start falling off the bits lower down and taken to its logical conclusion you have a 6 foot fence all around the entire country.

I was always taught "If you aren't 100% sure it's safe to eat, don't eat it. And that goes double for mushrooms."

Guybrush
pansyface says:

APPARENTLY, ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE, ONE OF THE REASONS PEOPLE END UP IN HOSPITAL WITH A SLIPPER RELATED INJURY IS PLAYING WITH A SLIPPER TO WHICH A DOG IS ATTACHED........

See original post

My dog doesn't wear slippers. 

Last edited: 14 June 2017 10:54:50