Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Delphiniums

Hi everyone

Not been on for a few weeks, maybe even months. I have my delphiniums that are in flower just now but....if I cut them back will they give a second show or do I leave them to seed??? Also, will they come true to the colour they are when they flower??? Thanks.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

It can be hit and miss as to whether you get a second flush - depends on the weather.  Some varieties will self seed, others (F1s) are often sterile.  I've grown seeds from some of mine (parents were all blue) and got a mixture of colours, but many were quite bland (eg dirty whites and some with sparse flowers.)  One thing I've learnt from experience is to cut them down right to the ground at the end of the year.  I left some until the next spring once (I usually leave most of my plants uncut to provide winter cover for wildlife) but found that the next year the flowers had all been eaten when they were small by caterpillars of the delphinium moth.  They overwinter inside the hollow stems..

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Oakley WitchOakley Witch Posts: 789

Delphinium moth? I havent come across that. Can I prevent that Bob?

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Hi there OW - welcome back !

I once quizzed the Blackmore and Langdon people at Hampton Court - he said always cut the flower spikes on delphiniums back as that makes them concentrate on becoming stronger plants for next year, rather than putting all their energy into setting seed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, I don't leave delphiniums to set seed - I find they make stronger plants for next year if I don't, and I usually get a few more blooms from sideshoots if the weather is kind. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Ahhh. brilliant folks. Will get that done tomorrow image Thanks for the welcome back chiky.xx

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

Welcome back nice to here from you again - me not managed to grow delphinium that flower yet as only started to grow them this year - they are only small seedling

Hampshire Gardener

Thanks folks image Lucy, they will flower next year hun. Get the seeds in now and they will flower next year. I have done my blue/purple mix but have just bought some lovely tall white ones for the moon garden so off to sow them this afternoon (and play with my new purple trug)image

• Hello,

I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US, so it's weather kind of like Britain.  I've heard that putting a plastic pot over the cut down delphinium can help prevent rotting in our rainy climate.  Has anyone done that and had success in wintering over?