London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
12/02/2013 at 21:00
Last summer I bought artemisia Silver King that sent out shoots over a 4 or 5 feet area in a few weeks. I knew it was invasive but reckoned I could control it by digging up every year but I loved its foliage. So too with Artemisia Orientale Limelight....this suckered everywhere and it took 3 years to finally eradicate it. Euphorbia Fireflow too is a thug for me. I carefully look into every plant before I plant it now. What other "desirables" have become thugs?
12/02/2013 at 21:05

Helianthus lemon Queen is a bit exhuberant in my garden and I may have to get ruthless with it this year.  Phlomis Russeliana is self seeding very happily and so needs rooting out a bit this year and lysomachia clethroides alba needs lifting, dividing and giving away as it's a bit too happy.    Cornus Midwinter Fire is a suckering thug.  I moved one shrub a couple of years ago but must have left bits of root behind so 18 months ago I dug up 12 new babies and transplanted them elsewhere and into pots and blow me if it hasn't popped up again in its original site.

12/02/2013 at 21:07

That'll be the pennisetum. and the blue comphrey, and the big native comphrey, though that's by seed not root. woodruff, a pink willowherb that I was told wasn't invasive, a white aster, one of the bugles. But not your euphorbia, that's no bigger than when it started.

12/02/2013 at 21:07

Crocosmia

12/02/2013 at 21:18

Everything that does not die.

12/02/2013 at 21:19

and acanthus and macleaya and one I can't remember the name of, lamiaceae, mauve, 18"- 2', seed heads very attractive like little steps up the stalk, seeds every where and has very resistant roots, even when quite young. And, reminded by obelixx, all the lysimachias. I may not have finished yet.

12/02/2013 at 21:58
Yep, lysimachia Firecracker. Years back I thought it a wonderful thing. Purple red foliage and yellow flowers.....ugh! What an awful combination now I think.....and spread everywhere.
12/02/2013 at 22:21

That is particularly naff isn't it, especially when it's in too dry a spot. Never goes away and never looks good then and most of my spots are too dry.

I've remembered the name of the mauve invasive plant. Scutellaria altissima

12/02/2013 at 23:53
I have a deep rooted hatred of Lavatera Barnsley, probably comes from my first garden 'job' of digging three of the beasts out of my parent's very small back garden. Hacking them back when they got too big was about the only gardening I ever witnessed as a child.
13/02/2013 at 06:22

Most plants with the world 'Japanese' as part of their comon name .Apart from the obvious Japanese knotweed (which invaded one garden I had),  Japanese honeysuckle (lonicera japonica) and Japanese anemones come to mind. Yet they are beautiful plants and Japanese anemones were recently recommended by Carol Klein as her plant of the week. i still grow J anemones and love them.There is also a beautiful fuchsia-like plant whose name I can't remember at the moment but is Japanese something.It was stunning for a couple of years then began to spread like mad and became straggly and invasive and almost impossible to remove. Really, anything that spreads by underground runner or that will grow from a little bit of root left in the ground. False nettle (lamium) is a complete pest in my garden. I introduced it when I knew virtually nothing about gardening (not long ago, then). All these plants seem to be particularly valued by herbalists, though.I once had a garden where lily of the valley had virtually taken over and I pulled them out like weeds.

13/02/2013 at 06:29

Also  borage

13/02/2013 at 07:31

Lily of the valley and vinca major, planted by previous owner and spread throughout the perennial border. In fact some still pop up several feet away from where they were first planted.

13/02/2013 at 08:08
2 more votes for Japanese anemone and crocosmia here. Slightly concerned re Lily of the Valley comments, have recently planted 4 clumps. When I rented out my house a few years back, the tenants planted Macleaya, I managed to get rid of it - what horrid bright orange roots it had. Oh and I still get the odd acanthus leaf poking through, but that's removed on sight. One advantage of having very dry light soil is that digging these thugs out is relatively easy, I would imagine it's a nightmare on anything heavier.
13/02/2013 at 09:35

Agree with Japanese anemone - the pink ones, anyway, Vinca major and Acanthus. Spanish bluebells are also a pest for me. Other people's thugs - Crocosmia, lily of the valley, that light green pleated leafy thing that looks pretty with water droplets on (can't bring name to mind) won't grow at all for me.

13/02/2013 at 09:51
Alchemical moll is, Ladie's mantle?
13/02/2013 at 09:58

The list is endless isn't it

13/02/2013 at 10:06

Vinca alchimilla, borage which pops up every where once you have it, and crocosmia, but it is more esily controlled once you inderstand its habits!, And acanthus

Most lists on here are very similar. Just bought 3 plants of Cornus midwinter fire - based on what Obelisxx says perhaps it's a mistake - they are not planted yet.

And Japanese bluebells, their thick leaves prevent anything growing, I spent years at the other house slowly eradicating them.

13/02/2013 at 11:08

Thanks, figrat & Bjay, I knew it began with A !!!

13/02/2013 at 11:37

For some reason my Alchemilla Mollis behaves quite well in the actual soil but I am forever pulling it of the cracks in the path and patio.  I try to remember to cut the flowers off before the seeds set - I don't like the smell of the flowers so that helps!

13/02/2013 at 11:53

I have alchemilla too but am ruthless about cutting off the flowers to restrict its spread.  My flower arranging friend almost wept when she saw me doing that and chucking them on the compost.      i find it's a good weed suppressor whilst waiting for other more interesting plants to beef up. 

1 to 20 of 33 messages