London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
4 messages
24/11/2012 at 10:28

Hi I need a bit of advice please.  My dhalias are still blooming - all be it smaller flower heads, but as we are now having our first frosts, should i cut them off and dig them up for the winter?  I have always hated cutting flowers off in bloom, and they are bringing a little bit of colour.  I am concerned that if I leave them to die down they will use up all their energy and not flower so great next year - any advice would be great.

24/11/2012 at 10:55

I had to dig mine up a while back cos I needed the space cleared. Otherwise I would have left them flowering as long as they would, left them in the ground and expected them to come up next year. This worked for a great many years but last winter I lost all except one. A bit of a frost won't hurt the tubers  if it hasn't even stopped the flowering. Some people dig them up some people don't. I'm sure serious dahlia growers do.

24/11/2012 at 11:34

Most of mine are lifted now but I've got one which, like yours is still blooming and I've left it. We've had a bad frost overnight but as it has'nt blackened the leaves I'm going to leave things as they are for another while. As you say, the colour especially at this time of year is very welcome.

24/11/2012 at 12:52
Trubill wrote (see)

Hi I need a bit of advice please.  My dhalias are still blooming - all be it smaller flower heads, but as we are now having our first frosts, should i cut them off and dig them up for the winter?  I have always hated cutting flowers off in bloom, and they are bringing a little bit of colour.  I am concerned that if I leave them to die down they will use up all their energy and not flower so great next year - any advice would be great.

Leave them till the frosts blacken the tops-which it will-the longer they are in the ground the better-that builds the size of the tuber,

Leaving them in does not weaken the flowering potential for next year one bit,

email image
4 messages