Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

I am new to these forums and am really enjoying reading everyone's input and tips. I have read a lot about how much people love wilkos so on my trip in to town today I got a bit carried away buying Dhalia tubers from them. So now all I really need is some pointers on how to get the best from them please

Hello Hkg!

My Dahlia tubers stay in a box in a spare room for the winter ; around the end of March I plant in pots and keep in a cold greenhouse until growth appears ; light frost doesn't normally damage them .

Mid April I set them in their allotted spaces in the garden (getting more crowded every year) , and there they stay until October / November ; they all flower profusely . Lift and dry before too cold though .

Remember to deadhead them regularly ; this encourages more flowers and extends the season .

Wilkos products are as good a quality as anyones ; why pay for a fancy label or pot when it's really the plant you want ?

Good luck with them and hope this helps you .

Hello Kathy..a lot depends on what facilities you have, if any, ie greenhouse coldframe. I buy Wilkos tubers and although they are ok they are small. They can't be planted directly in the garden borders until say late April. Of course that depends where you live I'm in the NE. I start my dahlias in pots in March in cold frames and my cold greenhouse. As I said the tubers tend to be on the small side and prone to drying out. If you have even a garage I'd be tempted to pot them in barely damp, but not dry, all purpose compost and keep them frost free. Other wise keep the tubers in a cool place until your ready to pot/plant them otherwise they'll start to grow. 

Years ago when I first grew Dahlias , I was impressed just how large the tubers grew in one season .

Advertisement

I'd love to grow dahlias. Gorgeous flowers. But do they need a lot of attention as in feeding, staking etc. I have always avoided them because I thought they were very fussy plants.

Hostafan1

floraltips, it depends on what you class as " a lot of attention". 

They like a good healthy soil so if yours isn't that great , they'll need feeding. Adding well rotted garden compost or well rotted manure early in the season is often enough.

Staking need only be done early in the growing season so it is covered by new growth later.

Personally, I'd say that extra work at the start of the season is well worth it for many months of glorious blooms.

I agree Hosta,  get it right at the beginning and place a strong stake in at planting and your rewards are beautiful flowers non stop till first frosts. 

Thank you Hosta and BS.  I'm pretty new to growing flowers and I suppose I'm not very knowledgeable or confident with them. Can manage a six pack of marigolds from B&Q and sowed some lupins in the autumn which are still alive. I'm going to give the dahlias a go and do as you and others suggest re preparation. Hopefully they'll do alright 

Bluebaron

If you want to get more bang for your buck start them off now on a warm windowsill. In a few weeks you should have some 'sprouts'.

Once these are 3-5 inches tall cut them off and stick them in a small pot. That way your 1 tuber should yield around 5-10 plants. At the end of the year they will form tubers for next year and then lift and start again!

Due to my bad health I didn't get round to lifting my dahlias last year.  Is there any chance that they have survived or should I just buy more for this year?  I am in West Yorkshire. 

fidgetbones

If the ground is not frozen, you can still lift them, pot them and put in a warm place. Easier to protect from slugs and an early start means earlier flowers.

Thanks Fidget. I will try that. I've got nothing to lose.