London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
17/04/2013 at 16:08

Which one are you interested it Brumbull? I can do the species but no experience of the hybrids reaching the market now.

17/04/2013 at 17:23

described by one of the seed companies as an F1 hybrid. Purpurea and who knows. Not one of my areas, sorry Brum

17/04/2013 at 18:11
I'm growing the new perennial foxglove...illumination pink.
The conditions for growing most foxgloves are good soil that holds some moisture, sun or partial shade and not too alkaline.
Funny though, the wild ones down here are seen in hedgerows, dry spots, damp spots, etc
17/04/2013 at 18:28

I grow a few different foxgloves. My favourite is Digitalis ferruginissima [ the rusty foxglove ] lots of small brown / yellow flowers. I think they are all straightforward. Sun but not too much and a moist soil, but as Verdun says I also have some in deep dry shade under a beech tree.

17/04/2013 at 18:36

I've grown from seed for the first time and they have really taken off.  Thick healthy baby plants.  Didnt loose a single one to the cold.

17/04/2013 at 18:40

Those species foxgloves are lovely punkdoc. I like D. lutea as well and all those browny, orangey types. I've germinated D. obscura this year, might have to protect that through winter.

I thought D. laevigata hadn't enjoyed winter but ti's looking OK now.

17/04/2013 at 19:19

Grew some of the alba and the peach types last year, survived the winter in the ground. Planted them in different spots but mainly stuck to partial shade areas, I have a couple under some beech trees too.

Coming on a treat now, really looking forward to seeing them flower

17/04/2013 at 19:48

I have not seen the variety illumination pink before and am interested in growing one. Where did you get yours from as they are quiet expensive £15 for 3 plants. I like the fact they are sterile and wont spread anywhere.

17/04/2013 at 19:49

I also states on the website june 2013 delievery which is late.

17/04/2013 at 19:56
Got illumination pink early by ordering just after Chelsea show. Got them in August I think and much cheaper than they are now.
They are in 2 litre pots and ready for plantIng out when the ideal spot is sorted.
I have high hopes for them....both for colour and for being truly perennial.
Will keep.dorum posted
17/04/2013 at 20:12

thanks i wonder if i can get one from the local nurseries, ill make some enquirys

17/04/2013 at 21:47

I've only ever grown the Digitalis 'Excelsior Hybrid' strain which I loved very much and found it very easy to grow - biennial of course... they were just such a pleasure.  I keep meaning to return to them at some point...

17/04/2013 at 21:52

Brumball, I have some Dalmation purple (also Dalmation peach and D cream).  I got them as plugs last summer, so this will be their first summer of flowering.  They are meant to be perennial, rather than biennial - but will wait and see.  Mine have all survived the winter and are beginning to put on lots of growth.  They are in quite a damp spot in partial shade.  Will let you know if and when I see a flower spike

17/04/2013 at 23:43

I've got an illumination pink, which i won last year, was in a 3 litre pot. Planted it out did really well, but looks dead as a dodo at the moment, can just hope it comes back, the normal foxgloves around it are coming through fine, but not the illumination so far!

18/04/2013 at 17:15

I find the yellow polemoniums and the one called 'Hopley' do best here. It's a bit dry for the blue ones, the look depressed and mildewed.

Those 'Illumination' digitalis looked a bit iffy in the hardiness scale. 

18/04/2013 at 17:24
Brum I grow brise d'anjou too but stairway to heaven is even better
Illumination pink....Andy....might have rotted in all that winter weather? My soil is well drained but I'm still dithering between possible sites for my plants. I would have expected some growth by now but maybe still bit early....?
18/04/2013 at 18:27
Just a better version ...lovely variegated foliage and better blue flowers. Got it next to berry Smoothy Heuchera.
18/04/2013 at 18:32
Tell a lie....it's next to Chocolate Ruffles.
I knew it had connections to food
18/04/2013 at 18:35
Brum, berry Smoothy is lovely plant though. Mine is outside my kitchen window. It is more sensitive to strong sun so I now have it in more shady spot. Yep, great minds, eh Brum?
18/04/2013 at 19:07
Trouble is every plant is addictive
Into taraxicum officionale now.....fantastic yellow flower, hardy and truly perennial. Must have more
1 to 20 of 23 messages