London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
18 messages
24/02/2014 at 13:29

Hi all, my Dad died suddenly and peacefully last week. I am wanting to plant something that will be in bloom at the time of year to remind me of him. I'm an inexperienced gardener and so something easy would be best. I have a south facing, medium size garden. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Julie

24/02/2014 at 13:37

I'm sorry to hear of the death of your father. I remember when mine died, not an easy time.

There are various very fragrant plants that flower at this time of year, Lonicera fragrantissima, Daphnes, Sarcococca, Hammamelis (Witch hazel). There are also some winter flowering clematis, but I think a shrub could be more reliable.

24/02/2014 at 14:49

Glad it was peaceful for him Julie.

It's a lovely thing to do . It's more difficult to find flowering shrubs for this time of year but Lizzie's given you some great suggestions, and you could also add some early bulbs round the base if you pick a deciduous shrub like the Witch Hazel or Daphne. That will give you extended interest. Crocus and snowdrops are flowering at this time of year. You'll often get snowdrops in GC's and nurseries just now in pots, or in another month or so 'in the green' ( just means with their foliage still on ) and they take more readily than planting them as bulbs in autumn. Crocus will be available end of summer/early autumn and are very easy to plant and look after.

24/02/2014 at 15:22

Hellebores are in flower in my garden, they could be an alternative. However, don't buy them from Wiseley where they are currently £17.99.

There are some nice crocus and snowdrops around too, and there is also primroses, tete a tete daffodils, pale pink scillas, violets

24/02/2014 at 16:07

Iris reticulata

24/02/2014 at 17:37

Go down to your local GC and buy whatever you take a fancy too. Obviously shrubs will be a more permanent inclusion to your garden. The most obvious one would be a Witch Hazel, there's hello and hybrid red ones. They have wonderful scent, but there's so many things you could choose, a trip to a few GC's would be good. 

24/02/2014 at 17:42

What a lovely idea, I have a mahonia in flower at the moment and it's fragrance is amazing.  

24/02/2014 at 18:44

Viburnam Tinus? or there are some winter flowering Clematis, I think maybe Wisley Cream?

24/02/2014 at 19:07

I thought of hellebores too but check out daphne odoraaureomarginata.  It's deliciously scented right now....pink and white flowers....and evergreen variegated foliage.   Maybe some snowdrops in the foreground. Some crocus too.

Nice thought Julie.  A garden should have sentiment like this.  

24/02/2014 at 22:18

Julie.  May I offer my sincere condolences.  When I lost my wife, almost four years ago after a lifetime together.  I settled for redesighning the garden and choosing roses.  In the past, I've had people say.  Roses have only a short period of attraction.As I haven't yet pruned the roses, already they are looking attractive.  Their shapes and sizes.  Then there is this sudden blaze of reds and greens as the leaves break bud. Flowers will in due course appear giving fragrance colour and bringing back those personal memories and thoughts of the lost loved one.  Later in the year, many will present a new flush of blooms. I also had a plaque engraved, and that also constantly reminds me.

I do sincerely hope that whatever your choice.  That you will never forget all those happy memories you shared with your dad.

24/02/2014 at 22:22

My Dad was mad about motor racing. When he died my mother, sister and I went to the florist to choose some flowers for his funeral, his favourites were red roses. The florist had some beautiful red roses called "Grand Prix".

24/02/2014 at 22:48

..for something easy I would plant Forsythia, which is just coming into flower right now, - bright yellow flowers -  and underplant with Crocus 'Remembrance'...

25/02/2014 at 00:12

I have a winter flowering honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima) which is a shrub, rather than the climbing variety.  It has been in flower for the past month and has the most delicious scent.  It was given to me by a dear friend who sadly passed away a few years' ago.  However, it always acts as a fond memory every winter when it bursts into flower.

25/02/2014 at 07:43

Have a look at one of the other threads on here small kilmarnock willlows are nice this time of year as the catkins are just beginning to open on them they look quite pretty.

25/02/2014 at 08:05

Salino, I planted a forsythia in memory of family member for reasons you gave ....the right time of year, cheerful and reliable flowerimg.  It is planted in a memorial walk and underplanted  with early white daffodils, crocus etc   It may be a common plant but it is lovely 

25/02/2014 at 08:40

Many thanks for such great ideas. I will enjoy looking at the various plants. Something cheery at this difficult time.

Thanks again.

Julie

25/02/2014 at 10:20

Julie, I have nothing to add to the lovely suggestions above - the idea of underplanting with some spring bulbs is lovely too - but I wanted to pass on my condolences to you at what must be a difficult time - a peaceful passing - just what we would all wish for our parents. 

25/02/2014 at 10:36
Verdun wrote (see)

Salino, I planted a forsythia in memory of family member for reasons you gave ....the right time of year, cheerful and reliable flowerimg.  It is planted in a memorial walk and underplanted  with early white daffodils, crocus etc   It may be a common plant but it is lovely 

..oh, that's nice... they can be lovely when underplanted with bulbs like that.  I feel they need some other companions to both tone down the bright yellow and to enhance it at the same time....if you know what I mean... incidentally, when I lived on the south coast, I had a variety of it, don't know which one, planted full sun east facing.. that had the most glorious autumn colour to rival most plants at that time of year... I wish I took a cutting before I left... or knew the variety... I wasn't expecting that from Forsythia...

email image
18 messages