London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
28/07/2013 at 22:29

I got some extra cheap bulbs today (I know I keep going on about bargain plants, please don't judge me! ). I guess they were reduced because the time to plant them is long gone. I got some primula vialli, anemone and freesias. The boxes say to plant them in Spring - will they keep til next Spring, or should I just plant them now and see what happens?

28/07/2013 at 23:07

They certainly won't last until next Spring.  Now you've bought them you might as well plant them.

29/07/2013 at 08:03

I agree plant them now, they might be a bit confused and come up this year probably too late to get any flowers but should "right" themselves by next year. As long as the bulbs feel firm they should be fine and you will have a bargain Display next summer. Remember though that pending on where you live freesias have to be lifted over winter or at least have a good protective covering of mulch.

29/07/2013 at 09:57

Hi

At what time of year would the people selling the freesias lift the bulbs ?. 

I bought 4 pkts of freesia bulbs 30 in each roughly this time last year £1 a bag stored in my shed till spring and planted 5-6 large tubs'

I reckon 90% grew fine and had some beutiful purple white and blue flowers, the bulbs i planted were all quite firm and looked ok.

29/07/2013 at 19:17

Hmmm. Maybe I'll experiment and plant one box now and keep the others somewhere dark until the spring. The bulbs are all sealed in bags of compost and then in boxes, so fingers crossed. I figure trial and error is probably a good way to learn this gardening thing!

Thank you everyone for the replies. All of these posts are so helpful to my learning!

30/07/2013 at 06:38

Primula vialli aren't bulbs - they're perennials and need planting now in damp soil, semi-shaded position - they might just survive.  

As for the others, I would plant them all now.  I really don't think you've anything to gain by leaving any until next spring - my bet would be that they would rot if not planted.

email image
6 messages