London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 43 messages
20/05/2013 at 13:38

I have "chelsea chopped" my tall sedum for the past 2 years , and i find it worked really well , does anyone else have a chop around chelsea week and if so what do you chop ?

20/05/2013 at 14:19

I always seem to be busy doing other stuff this week, but my sedum always falls over. I will give it a go.

20/05/2013 at 15:41

I agree - sedum responds particularly well to the 'Chelsea chop'. i tought I might try my perennial sunflowers (helianthus?) this year but they are not tall enough yet!

20/05/2013 at 17:04

Ok Sedum chopped. Made a lot of stuff for the compost heap. Maybe I was a bit  overenthusiastic.

20/05/2013 at 17:20

Thanks for the reminder!  I'm so far behind this year, I'd forgotten about chopping the sedums.  Will do it tomorrow (fingers crossed)

20/05/2013 at 17:58

I'm leaving mine as they are.  Chopped them last year and the flower heads were smaller.  Lots of them but smaller.  I prefer them left to there own devices.  I just divide them every couple of years so they dont fall over.

20/05/2013 at 18:02

I'm going to have a good chop this year (if I get round to it). Some might not work, I won't do theose next year. I shall do the sedums, heleniums, asters and lychnis chalcedonica which has already fallen over having had its suporting weeds removed. Might be more when I get out there and look. Campanulas, they might benefit and those over tall creamy coloured ones that look like scabious but aren't. As years go on there are many more plants with names on the tip of my tongue.(Or maybe further back than that)

20/05/2013 at 18:42

Always,do the Chelsea chop.  There are some plants you don't do it to....lupins, delphiniums, etc.  the summer flowering things I cut back....the,Chelsea chop???..in mid summer.  Things like argyranthemums and occasionally on cosmos where flowering may be less than its peak.  A trim back and they flower again profusely to the autumn.

If sedums are cut back now the flowers should be just as big.  I've experimented a bit with sedums and even had flowers on a very late cut back. This late cut produces fuller foliage but fewer flowers so now is good time

20/05/2013 at 21:20

I have applied the Chelsea cop to my phlox for the past few years and the results are very impressive. I chop about one in three stems and as a result have a far longer display of flowers.

20/05/2013 at 21:25

I always do the sedums, phlox, taller campanulas, turtleheads- they look good if they are 'layered'. Definitely saves the need for frantic late staking when they all flop after heavy rain/late in season.

This yr being 'late' shall start it next week. J.

20/05/2013 at 21:40

Phlox is the only plant I do this to.

With regard to sedums I've just been reading Christopher Lloyd's suggestion to stop them flopping - dig them up each year (and split if you wish) Breaking the roots, as you're bound to, apperently keeps the plants more compact and stops them splaying out in the centre. 

20/05/2013 at 21:43

I remember reading that Patsy. Never got round to doing it though so I'll leave it to you to test the theory

20/05/2013 at 21:50

I chop phlox, golden rod, late summer flowering daisies - shasta, heleniums etc and my pink spirea as soon as it has flowered so I another flush of new foliage in that zingy yellow/green. I divide my sedums regularly and don't chop them.

21/05/2013 at 11:14

I've never tried the Chelsea chop but will have a go at my phlox this year. I do chop some earlier flowering plants after flowering and get a second flush a few weeks later.

21/05/2013 at 22:56

I have some very tall rather rampant rudbeckias that get the chop. Almost time!

21/05/2013 at 23:01

I always chop my many sedums, and they look much better for it. What about Veronicas? Does anyone chop them back?

21/05/2013 at 23:09

...I wonder if there is such a thing as a Chelsea scalp...as I've not only chopped my Clematis alpina but scalped it... it needed a good seeing to as it was a tangled mess and just finished flowering... it was also harbouring masses of snails in it's nether regions... these were removed to wasteland...

...a great sense of satisfaction all round...

22/05/2013 at 14:45

While we're on this subject is it just me or are perrenial plant supports insanely expensive? I wanted about a dozen to dot around the garden for things like phlox etc... down the garden centre they were 5 quid each for a bit of plastic! That's more expensive than the plants, just seems a bit crazy to me..

Does anyone have any tips of other things you can use/recycle to do the job? If i'm going to spend 60 quid down the garden centre i'd rather do it on plants!

22/05/2013 at 16:22

They are very expensive, but I make my own. I buy long, thin metal rods from a builders merchants or a DIY place. Then I bend one around a tree so it forms an arc with 2 long straight sides then I tread on each side and pull it up. You can put a plank of wood to stand on across it before pulling the sides up to make it more even. Then you have 2 rods to plant in the ground each side of the plant and a curved bit to go around the plant for less than a quater the price of the similar ones in garden centres.

23/05/2013 at 06:08

I use bamboo got 2 huge thickets of it and our local woods to get twiggy supports looks natural and saves money

1 to 20 of 43 messages