Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

does anyone know what it is??

JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

hi,

I have started working in a garden which has lots of these plants in them, & I'm not sure what they are, I'm thinking they are some kind of echium? but not pininana's, which I have too!

If any one knows what they are I'd be very grateful.

There is lots of last years (dead) growth laying around them which is about just over a metre.

thanks in advance

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Is there a photo Jc?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

Sorry thought the pictures had gone through!!! 

The pics are a bit small and my eyes are a bit old. But echiums are mostly if not always biennial, this looks like a perennial. Possibly one of the comphreys.

• JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

Thanku for your reply nutcutlet, yes it is a perennial ( have got big fat roots!) but the leaves are slightly furry I thought comphrey's were smooth?

They're quite rough. not smooth at all, not sure about the furry.  It's a bit dark out there now but I'll go and take a pick of mine tomorrow. I have the big native one , (officinalis)  the blue one and a little whitish one, but it's not that.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Couldn't be a centurea could it? Perennial cornflower.

https://flightplot.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/perennial-cornflower-centaurea-montana.jpg?w=671

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • catnipcatnip Posts: 73

Or pulmonaria (lungwort)? Tiny blue, pink or whit flowers? Some leaves might be spotted...

• AnneeAnnee Posts: 6

My guess is Comfrey. Take a look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

I think it's this one, one of the blue comphreys. Never really worked out which one for sure.

This is it later on

Beautiful blue, bit invasive.

• Great compost accelerator/plant feed though! And the bees love comfrey.