Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Does anyone know what this is?

Quite a few of these at the back of a border I am clearing. Are they weeds? One has a little purple flower on it (I think, bit all tangled together), I wondered if it is Honesty as there is an old one nearby. If so any idea how to look after them, should I filter them out a bit? Any help welcome. Thanks.

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon

• Looks very similar to a wild violet I have in my garden, but could be wrong.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Looks like Honesty.
  • If the leaves are heart shaped I would think violet.

• I think it might be Honesty because one of the leaves seems to have some seeds showing through like Honesty does, but there are so many of them, maybe violet is mixed in - the nettles certainly were! 

• “Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?” —Betsy Cañas Garmon
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you both. 

I can just see some seeds through a couple of leaves, they are still green though not silvery, a very light green. I think I will give them a little trim to tidy them up now the bed is cleared and I can get to them. I think they they must be Honesty based on all the comments, thank you all so much.

As I progress through this very overgrown bed I am sure I will be posting a lot more photos. So difficult when things are all scrambling over each other. 

• I would put money on that being Honesty image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi a new kid on the block! I've watched other forum-ites for years but this is a first for me so please be gentle with me!!

I hate to disagree with anyone but I have to go along with Mike on this one, and I also think it is a companula. Not sure which one but one of the low growing ones.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Must agree with ND, Looks like a campanula to me too! Got lots of them seeding around the garden, lower leaves look much like that - we will see huh?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Never seen a seed pod like the one on the extreme left of the first picture on a Companula.