7 messages
11/05/2013 at 19:19

I've got two patches of Dog's tooth violets, one under a pine and one under a cupressus of some kind. They flowered the first year under the Cupressus but not since. I'm on a loam, the Cupressus is on a West facing wall and pine on an East facing hedge. The ones under the Cupressus have been in three years the other I don't know since they were in when I came. I have plenty of places I could move them to if need be, but what would be the right time etc.  Can anyone suggest the best course of action? Thanks

11/05/2013 at 20:21

they don't like it too dry Jim and under conifers might be dry. I'd move them now but I'm not an expert with these.

11/05/2013 at 20:51

nutcutlet is right. They like moist woodland conditions with plenty of organic material and not too much sun.

11/05/2013 at 21:08

Thanks for the post JMac.. I have just planted several of these.. now I know what to do. I always was **** about front. You can always rely on Nut for good advice.

11/05/2013 at 21:12

Kind of you to say so Ww.  Never mind whether it's true. 

11/05/2013 at 21:15

Hic. 

12/05/2013 at 09:46

Thank you all, the description of what to do was a bit contradictory I thought when I first planted them. 

"Prefers slightly acid soil conditions but succeeds in chalky soils if these contain plenty of humus. Requires semi-shade, preferably provided by trees or shrubs, and a well-drained soil. Succeeds in almost any light soil, preferring one that is rich in humus. Thrives in light grass. This species does not flower very freely, increasing mainly by its stoloniferous habit. Flowers are produced in 3 - 4 years from Seed. Bulbs should be planted about 7cm deep. There are many named forms, selected for their ornamental value. Many of these cultivars have a habit to divide freely to form clumps containing many small non-flowering Bulb. To remedy this, the Bulb should be lifted and divided, replanting them singly about 10cm below soil level."

The soil is light where they are and probably a bit on the acid side but as you say, though I water them, probably too dry at times when I've forgotten where they are.  The bit about free draining led me to think they'd like it drier. 

Thanks everyone. 

email image
7 messages