Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

dogwood in containers

ronan  qronan q Posts: 2

Would cornus sanguinea be suitable for planting in a large container. I was hoping it would be ok if I kept it well pruned it should be ok. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

i have some in pots and haven't had any problems

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    ronan q wrote (see)

Would cornus sanguinea be suitable for planting in a large container. I was hoping it would be ok if I kept it well pruned it should be ok. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I think as someone else has often said-you can grow anything in a container-the only restriction is how big the plant is going to get and the fact that the watering,feeding etc is down to you

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414
    ronan q wrote (see)

Thanks

The idea of growing Cornus (Dogwood) is for the coloured stems to liven up the garden in winter so go easy on the pruning.
    They do nothing but leaf up all summer then drop the leaves and colour up from bright red through the spectrum to green depending on which type it is. With mine I cut them right back in spring then as they reach the height i want run the hedge trimmer over them and that does it until the next spring. They sit next to a single bush of Golden Privet which offsets the red of the stems and certainly brightens up part of the winter garden which can get quite drab.
    Geoff is correct, all you need to do is watch the watering and some feed early spring with a bit of mulch in summer.

Frank.