Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Doronicums for early season succession planting

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

I am contemplating in interplanting Rudbeckia laciniata with Doronicum orientale 'Magnificum' (or D. plantagineum 'Miss Mason), so the Rudbeckia's late season show is preceded by early colour from the Doronicum. Any thoughts as to whether this is going to work? The bed is S.W. facing, chalky soil (but decent/improved and can be kept watered).

I am also using Aquilegia chysantha for a similar purpose, teamed with later flowering Helianthus 'Lemon Queen'. Am I overlooking any other early flowering cream to yellow coloured perennials which would cope with being swamped by late developers after flowering?

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

D. pardalianches (easy from seed, pic below) can take a later swamp and is quite tall.

Be careful with too many different yellows image they can wipe each other out

Also Phlomis russelliana which will stand up through the season and still be there to be decorated by frost.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Cheers for that! This is the sort of effect I am trying to create (pic below). The border is lonnng, and backed by a stone wall. A gravel path with about 2m of herbaceous planting either side. My idea was to start with yellows/creams and gradually shift towards oranges/russets as you walk down the path. (Shamelessly copying Hadspen). I do like the way limiting the colour palette creates  a strong mood, and emphasises texture. Hopefully the cream colours will prevent the yellows wiping each other out, what do you reckon?

http://www.johnglover.co.uk/johnGlover/images/gallery/gcolo.078%20Hadspen%20House.jpg

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's all down to what you like to see in you garden. image

For me the central area has too many different yellows. I like the lupins with the (maybe) Achillea grandiflora.

I had a too many yellows situation a couple of years ago. I had to cull a few stylophorums and corydalis

In the sticks near Peterborough
    E polychroma is a good idea, I suppose it will have done its thing by the time the rudbeckias totally submerge it. Great idea, thanks. And drumstick primulas.. Will need to do some research on which varieties I can use!
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I don't think drumstick primulas come in yellow, but candelabra primulas do, and might fit in well.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border

I always think of these primulas on moist soil, which I don't exactly have here. But I note from the RHS encyclopedia, there are various groups with different requirements so some further research is required.

I have Allium flavum and Arum creticum now added to my list (if it's anything like Arum italicum, the leaves will die down before the Rudbeckias etc get going?)

Planning planting successions that will hopefully survive in the same space is a sort of sweet agony...

The bed I'm concerned with here is in pic 1; what's already growing there will give some idea of what the conditions are like. There will be borders both sides of the path, with the new border a bit deeper and backed by shrub planting. I'm rethinking R. laciniata on the side next to the wall - now I re-look at the pics, I simply don't think there's room!