London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
5 messages
12/05/2014 at 19:15

Most everything is now growing fast and looking better every day....as with everyone else.....but I  am going to have a big  "spoil" this summer.   A Carpentaria Californica is looking decidedly sparse of foliage.  Growing against a wall it has been a lovely sight in June and July but the winter wet has affected it. Hardly a leaf but I cut branches back fairly hard and new growth has started.   But it looks "woody" 

However, I have now decided it has to go.  I want something quick for,this summer and considered a red leaved canna, (I have a few in large pots growing away), a buddleia Davidii and climbers.  I have a pittosporum Garnettii 6' tall to one side and a 10' tall conically shaped on the other side......not the most imaginative planting I have but it creates a cosy background.  I have clematis ville de Lyon backing the pittosporum.

Any other options out there?  Quick, colourful and compatible?  

12/05/2014 at 19:31

What about a  Perovskia atriplicifolia Blue Spire?  It would look great next to the pittosporum and also look great in front of a wall 

12/05/2014 at 19:34

Would a Ligularia grow there Verd - or is it not moist enough?

The canna would be very smart I think.

A Phormium for foliage contrast?

12/05/2014 at 20:56

Dove.....a tad too small. Want something to grow reasonably tall quickly. Anyone tried little Blie spire?  Apparently it's less sprawly.  

Fairygirl, I think it will be the canna.  They grow so well down here flowering from mid Augusf onwards af a height of well over 7 ' 

Could put in Calamagrostis too. Got a couple of large ones in pots.  Decisions, decisions......I need a donut or two.  

12/05/2014 at 20:57

Sorry fairy.  Ligularia?  Prob too dry 

email image
5 messages