Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Easy to grow tree

Hi, I am not a very good gardener. I would like to grow a small flowering tree as a memorial to my dog that died 4 weeks ago.  I'm looking for something easy to maintain and grow.

Thank you in advance

Julie

• Hi Julie image  I'm sorry to hear about your dog image  Planting a tree is a lovely idea. 

Can you tell us a little bit about your garden and the spot where you want to plant your tree - that'll give us some idea as to what will grow well there.

What way does the garden face N, S, E or W and how much light does it get?  What's the soil like and how much space have you got - stuff like that.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Jules, where are you as we have to remove a young 5 foot flowering cherry and a 5 foot nice magnolia if your anywhere near to us Mundesley in Norfolk your very welcome to them there both in very good health but we have 9 of them and we want fruit trees as well, so some mags av2go if your to far away anyone is welcome to them.  Alan image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Crab apples are easy, different coloured varieties of fruit, flowers in spring, decorative fruit in autumn and you can make crab apple jelly. Not too big.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Magnolias are a good idea. Very low maintenance. I planted mine 20 years ago, and have barely touched it except to remove some lower branches to let light on the bulbs planted beneath it.

• Japanese cherry trees are no maintenance and provide all year interest.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I'm sorry to hear of your loss.... if your dog was reddish brown in colour, then a small tree called Malus 'Red Sentinel'  might be an appropriate name....

• Condolence to you Julie, and I'm pretty sure your dog must have been so wonderful and dear to you. And as for a sort of advice about your concern, I'll have to suggest "Red Drift Rose Tree" or "Pink Floribunda Rose". Since, both plants symbolizes of peace, love and devotion.

• Thank you everyone for all your advice and kind words. I will look into all your suggestions. Thanks Alan for your offer but I stay in Scotland. 

Thanks again everyone

Julie

• I see Rattan man is posting spam again - reported!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.