London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
19 messages
08/07/2014 at 11:47

So I bought two new plants for my garden yesterday:

http://www.evergreennurseryco.com/assets/productimages/Echinacea%20Pink%20Double%20Delight%2002.jpg

Pink Double Delight

http://www.buddgardens.com/buddgardens/CinnamonCupcaketn_4b.jpg

Hot Papaya

Aren't these gorgeous!? 

I hope they survive the winter here in Belgium.. but they seem to be very hardy?Also bought a white one and a light pink one with single flowers.

But those weren't so expensive as the two upper ones. 

I'm all into Echinacea at the moment.. just love these.

08/07/2014 at 12:18

It depends where you are.  I rarely get echinacea that survive the usual winters here in the rural centre and also find them a favourite meal for slugs.   This last winter being so mild means I do have a few that have coped but they then were battered by the hail storm at the end of May and are taking their time to recover so it seems I can't win either way.

08/07/2014 at 12:52

Oh luckily for me I don't have a slug problem hehe.

My garden is covered with -tree-bark-? I have no clue how It's called in English?

(the bark of trees) and slugs don't seem to like that. + The massive amount of birds here also help.

08/07/2014 at 13:17

Chipped bark.   I use it on some paths in the far "woodland" corner of my garden. and have used it on beds too but it's breaking down now and has been incorporated into the soil.

Lots of birds too but they don't eat the slugs.

Lyn
08/07/2014 at 13:26

I hope you can survive them but what you can do is take root cuttings, division of the plant, do this in october or when the flowers die down,

you can pot them in compost and keep them in a frost free place, greenhouse or conservatory and you will have lots of new plants to plant out next Spring.

08/07/2014 at 13:48

What if I pulled them apart right now? (divide them)
Would that do damage to the roots and plant?

+ I just found the information card that was in the pot of the plant (pink double)

and it says the plant should be able to handle -35 degrees Celsius!It -by the way- also says ''propagation is strictly prohibited without prior authorization from the breeder''   lol?

08/07/2014 at 14:37

That breeder's rights rule applies to propagation for sale, not to private gardeners increasing their own stock.    The best time to divide plants is either autumn or spring so wait a bit.

My winters usually get to -25C though I have had -32C.  It's usually the winter wet that kills plants rather than the cold and a blanket of snow is also better than getting that cold with no protective covering.    Echinaceas are American prairie plants.    A wet Belgian winter is more damaging than a cold, dry or snow covered prairie winter.

08/07/2014 at 14:59

I see. Thanks for the info I'll wait a bit longer in that case.

Lyn
08/07/2014 at 15:31

I would go completely with Obe says.

08/07/2014 at 16:45
Gosh they are beautiful!!
08/07/2014 at 16:56

Gosh! they are smashing looking colours, I have Hot P but it has not grown very well this year!

As for hardiness, the latest new colours are very dodgy, I take cuttings which I overwinter in the GH so I can grow on next season!

The old purple colours are as tough as old boots as is "Wild Berry" which is one of the cheaper ones to buy!

Keep the pictures coming!

Cheers!

08/07/2014 at 21:13

I have several echinaceas including Hot papaya, marmalade, milkshake, guava ice, summer sky, vintage wine, and varieties of Cheyenne,etc etc.

These all need to develop good strong root systems before they flower, kept moist in their first season, very little added fertiliser and plenty of sunshine. Would not divide in their first season either.  Can divide in spring when weather is warm but best to develop again for another season before doing this.

To remove flower stems before mid summer helps a long sturdy flower display from July onwards.

08/07/2014 at 21:33

Hmm okay so I should take away all the flowers right now to get better roots,

and the flowers will be back in July right?

08/07/2014 at 23:47

If this was a month ago I would say yes but ....it's what I did with lots of flowers now......your flowers won't now appear until August.  Don't forget to water it once a week just to keep it from drying out.  

Actually ,many of the doubles like your pink delight, are fairly robust in my opinion and will send up strong flower stems for several weeks.  Dont forget to deadhead those spent flowers.

09/07/2014 at 14:08

love the top pink one Girlfrom Belgium.. goregous.. i struggle to get them to grow in my sandy soil.. (like a beach) even thou i add compost and organic matter.. they struggle. bu this year they are flowering ok not tall but ok.

I so love them to

10/07/2014 at 11:21

I bought the double last year, 3 of them to put with my other echineacea's and not one has come up this year, very sad as they are so pretty!

10/07/2014 at 13:56

Bev, did you let them flower last year?  I think this may be the reason for their demise.

We all had a very wet winter too.....echinaceas don't like wet feet over winter.  My hot Papya is a similar plant......not allowed to flower so far this year but will let it do so now.  Another double, milkshake, has survived and has masses of buds to open any day now.  Marmalade is in full flower ...another orange double......same treatment.

10/07/2014 at 14:21

yes Verdun I did let them flower, thats obviously where I went wrong, they weren't cheap either but I will have another go, none of my echineaceas have survived maybe to do with the clay soil that we have here in essex..  I bought 3 of them from the Hyde Hall flower show and they were my one extravagance and as I had grown echineaceas the previous 2 years I thought they'd be fine.  Its all new to me as I'm relatively new to gardening, you certainly learn by your mistakes!!

10/07/2014 at 21:40

Echinaceas, esp the newer vsrieties, are so variable ....in hardyness and vigour.  They do not like heavy clay soil Bev over winter.  Try covering them with a sheet of glass but allow good ventilation. Some varieties suffer pathogens that warm spells in winter encourage so, as I said before, they are fickle and tricky.  Harvest Moon,,for example, a lovely harvest gold colour, was difficult for me to keep for more than .3 years.  

email image
19 messages