London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
18 messages
04/10/2012 at 19:00

Does anyone know how to get rid of black spots on echinacea leaves? 

04/10/2012 at 19:16

Without a picture it is hard to say-but to my way of thinking they will be going over shortly then just cut hard back

Any spray now is unlikely to be effective

04/10/2012 at 20:19

Thank you, I will do that.  Yes they are going over now but I was wondering if the black spot would stay with the plant and ruin it for next year.  

04/10/2012 at 20:52

on the same subject of echinaceas & cutting them back. I've sowed some from seed this  year and at the moment I have some flower heads developing. I know that as it October these flowers are not going to come into fruition. I was going to just let them die back naturally........is this the right thing to do?

04/10/2012 at 21:29
Holli-hock, I would cut them off and let plants concentrate energy into building up for next year. You will have far better performance from them if you do cut back.
05/10/2012 at 08:32

I'm going to cut the echinacea's right down today, noticed that the flowers which were lovely have now gone black also.  Will the black spot stay with the plant and will I need to spray next year before it starts growing properly and if so what with.  I love the plant, the flowers just went on and on and then in their prime just died.  I also  have a lot of trouble with black spot on roses (sussex uk)

05/10/2012 at 10:37
I don't think you need worry about spraying your echinacea. It's prob down to so much rain. I think echinaceas need feeding in spring, light mulching now and don't like being crowded. Love them too Tricia b
05/10/2012 at 10:48

Tricia-it is unlikely to be the same disease as the black spot on the roses-but no harm will come to them if you do a preventative spray next year with a fungicide-a lot of it is weather related-in a better year you probably wouldn't get it

There have been a lot of reports of vegetable blight this year-it is just one of those things

05/10/2012 at 11:00

Too much rain, too little rain, what to do.  Thanks for great advice. 

05/10/2012 at 21:59
I'm not happy with spraying too much with fungicides or insecticides. Echinaceas are prairie plants......liking some moisture plenty of sunshine and light. leave them be, I'm sure they will flower their little socks off quite naturally next year.
05/10/2012 at 22:03

Hollie-Hock, I agree with Christopher2 about cutting the flower heads off.  I did this with a couple of new echinaceas last year (even though it was very tempting to let the flowers grow), and they have performed amazingly this year - huge amounts of flowers.  Well worth it.

06/10/2012 at 08:30

Please don't spray echinaceas with fungicides or insecticides - they are so attractive to bees and other pollinating insects and you will run the risk of doing real harm to them, now and in the future - as others have said, this year has given us challenging conditions for a lot of our plants - a drier year will suit many of them much more - however the ones that like damp feet will be causing us problems then - that's gardening 

06/10/2012 at 19:16

Well said Dovefromabove! 

07/10/2012 at 11:15

I sowed some echinacea seeds last spring (2011) and haven't had so much as a flower from any of them.  I repotted them this spring with fresh compost and they are still tiny.  I know some of this will be weather related, there hasn't been much of a summer in Glasgow this year.  Should I chuck them on the compost bin and buy a fully grown plant next year? 

07/10/2012 at 11:18
LisaJ wrote (see)

I sowed some echinacea seeds last spring (2011) and haven't had so much as a flower from any of them.  I repotted them this spring with fresh compost and they are still tiny.  I know some of this will be weather related, there hasn't been much of a summer in Glasgow this year.  Should I chuck them on the compost bin and buy a fully grown plant next year? 

Where are they now-still in pots or in the garden?

07/10/2012 at 11:35

Most are still in pots.  I planted a couple of them out earlier in the year but forgot how big the fennel would grow so are a bit swamped by that.  

When I repotted them they were still tiny so I didn't put them into particularly big pots which won't have helped them grow I reallise now.

07/10/2012 at 11:46

Don't give up just yet-keep them in pots and in the greenhouse over winter-plant them out next spring-anything from seed can take up to a couple of years to get to flowering size-they die down to the ground  in the winter anyway-so don't despair about those in pots looking dead-the root is probably still ok-they are sold as roots early in the year- and yours will just be like that

You should see growth in March or so

07/10/2012 at 12:01

They grew back this spring, just not as much as I'd hoped.  I'll stick them in the greenhouse and hope for the best next year.  Thanks!

Now, I really must go and plant some bulbs.  

email image
18 messages