London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 13°C
19 messages
15/02/2013 at 20:05

I grew some Echinecias from seed last year. Planted them out and eventually they did grow to the point of having a flower head on them. I've left them in situ and now they look like dead sticks.

Should I cut them back?

Thanks for any information or advice as I've not grown them before.

15/02/2013 at 20:09

Hi hollie hock,

Anything dead can be cut off anything. It will have no further use. All herbaceous perennials die back. You can either cut them off in autumn or spring. I tend to walk on the garden and cut in autumn and leave those I can reach from grass or path til spring. Some of them look nice through winter (but not this winter, everything went soggy and rotten). That way I don't walk on the bulbs as they come through

15/02/2013 at 20:26

Hollie, you may find that if you look closely at the base of the stems, there may already be signs of fresh growth. If so, I'd cut them back to just above that growth & all being well they'll flower better this yr- assuming we get some sun!

If, however there isnt any sign of new growth & the remaining top growth is well & truely dead, which it probably will be, then a gentle tug of the plant should indicate whether it's still ok. If all dead, the tug allows the whole to completely come out. J.

15/02/2013 at 20:31

Hols -guard against the revenge of the molluscs

15/02/2013 at 20:35

Geoff, it was molluscs revenge last year, it's our turn this year

15/02/2013 at 21:10
Slugs love echinacea. Try rings of copper around them. Bit early to see signs of growth yet. But, my flowering currant is opening its flowers now.
16/02/2013 at 09:20
How long do they take to germinate?
16/02/2013 at 11:14

Morning all, thanks for your replies. Just been outside to have a closer look at them and do the tug test. No signs of new growth at the bottom yet but . they are well and truly rooted so fingers crossed they will flower properly this year. I will cut them down, one has a lovely seed head on them so will save that

I know what you mean Geoff, not sure which the slugs/snails prefer Echineicias or Lupins. Did have a few planted out last year,but only 3 survived, the others were munched.

Can't really remember how long they took to germinate,maybe about 3 weeks. Started some more off a couple of weeks ago and only one has popped through at the moment.

21/02/2013 at 23:30
Cool. Did you sow them indoors Mandy?
22/02/2013 at 15:18

just planted some so will keep a close eye on them to see when they pop up.

George

22/02/2013 at 21:40
Great. My green wizard are up so fingers crossed for the rest
22/02/2013 at 21:45

Hiya Sam, If we had a better Summer last year I'm sure they would have flowered. I think I sowed them later in the season outside in the coldframes. I think they did take a while to germinate, they were in takeaway trays

This year, I've sowed them indoors so far I have a couple up

22/02/2013 at 22:13
Cool. I have been hacking up 2pint milk bottles cause I have discovered that when cut in half...they are the same size as 3inch potting on pots Im very pleased as I was starting to run out lol.
22/02/2013 at 22:52
Leave well alone for now I think. Don't pull bits etc. echinaceas benefit from the Chelsea chop....late spring cut off any potential flowering stems. I find this creates energy for super flowering from mid summer on.
23/02/2013 at 13:48

I always cut mine down to the ground in the autumn, i grew them from seed about 3 years ago and the get better every year, growing to about 5 feet tall, last autumn i dug some up and put in pots in the cold frame to move them somewhere new this year, don't know whether they'll be ok but they've survived the winter so far so fingers crossed!

23/02/2013 at 21:24

Sounds good Jayne, I'm looking forward to seeing them this year.They nearly flowered last year, but the summer was rubbish.

Hi Sam, I use all types of containers  to grow stuff in, takeaway trays, marg pots etc cheaper than buying the pots and seeds and plants don't care what they are growing in

30/03/2013 at 22:35

Seen some growth on 2 of the Echinecias,  just popping through. Very pleased. Got 4 seedlings that have germinated this year. 

Are they bushy in habit, or does one stem have one flower head?

25/07/2013 at 19:13

can anyone help me please, i am a new to gardening and i have several Echinecias growing throughout my garden, just want to know, do you dead head them once the the flower is fading like you do with pansies, does it encourage more blooms throughout  the summer?

any tips will be much appreciated

Thanks

25/07/2013 at 20:28

yes, remove fading flower stem asap to new shoots on stem.  dont allow to dry out too much

email image
19 messages