London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
12 messages
04/10/2012 at 10:37

Hi there,

I see at my B&Q at the moment that a lot of plants are on sale as they die off for the winter. I bought a few Hostas at half price yesterday which I will plant out next spring. But I was wondering about Cannas (which I know nothing about). I'd love to put some in next year. Is it a good idea to buy up some half price plants now, stick them in the greenhouse and plant out in spring, or is it better to buy the corms next year?

Many thanks,

James

04/10/2012 at 10:41
Buy now and keep in greenhouse. Pot Into bigger pots early next spring, feed and water well and put outside when frosts have gone
04/10/2012 at 12:32

Definitely buy now. You will get them started earlier, and the corms will probably be bigger.

04/10/2012 at 15:19

I understand that they should be treated as dahlias over the winter, so I'd wrap the pots especially if you dont heat the gteenhouse over winter.

I noticed that our local GC selling off loads of stuff this week. Often a good time to get bargain herbaceous & other plants & it's still fine to do an autumn planting of lots of things- not your cannas though. J.

04/10/2012 at 18:07
Don't think you need to wrap the pots. Kept dry in greenhouse over winter is fine. Cannas, in my experience are hardier than dahlias. Just get them asap
04/10/2012 at 18:53

Every autumn I dig up the cannas and put them in pots in the shed and every spring I have a pot of soil and no tuber, what am I doing wrong?

04/10/2012 at 19:04
Sounds like they rotted joslow. Mice? I think the tubers are attractive to them. I often dig them up, dry them off and wrap loosely,in fleece in greenhouse. You can tell though of they have rotted by messy pulp remains. If nothing at all I think you have prepared a hearty winter feed for your local rodents
04/10/2012 at 19:49

often you can get good plants in sales,with Cannas you need to keep them frost free until late spring when frosts are gone.

05/10/2012 at 11:49

I am now confused christopher2 do you just wrap the tubers, not in soil?

flowering rose are yours in pots of compost?

05/10/2012 at 21:54
Hiya joslow. I do both...plant in pots and wrap tubers in fleece in greenhouse (some are not wrapped because I get bit lazy sometimes) I also leave them in the ground to form large colonies.....usually mild here. Wouldn't wrap tubers in soil though.
09/10/2012 at 16:07

Christopher2 if you say it is ok to leave them in the soil I will try that, I would love a big colony of them.

09/10/2012 at 23:42
Joslow. How cold does it get with you? Could you protect them, say with straw? A big colony is impressive. I have never lost cannas left in the soil but I am in mild part. Cut some smaller pieces out....I use a spade....and pot up just in case. Don't want you hunting me down if you lose them! Ha ha
email image
12 messages