Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

erysiums

My eriseum are getting towards the end of there flowering time.Do i leave them,or chop them to the ground or chop a bit off them as i'm new to growing wallflowers.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are we discussing those biennial plants used as spring bedding or the perennial shrub like ones?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

I think graham might be talking about the biennials as he says finished flowering. Bowles Mauve never finishes flowering. It was there for my new years day flower count.

• Thanks for all your helpfull comments.Like i said,i am not too knowledgable about wallflowers but i have 2 types.One is called Erysium most scented and the other is,i don't really know but i bought about 24 or 36 from one of the mail order places,either Thompson and  Morgan or j Parkers,but like i said,this is the first year i have grown them as i know more about roses.I hope this as been some help.

Hi Graham. These are perennial but mostly grown as biennials (seed sown about now or a bit earlier, flower next spring, chuck them out after flowering). Yours may survive for another year but won't be as good as new ones either grown from seed yourself, bought from garden centres in autumn or as plugs whenever they are marketed. I'd put the bundles available in autumn as the most reliable and easy method.

• Thanks nutcutlet,i'm getting confused this year with everything flowering at strange times.The erysium most scented have not even flowered yet but they have put some good growth on these last few weeks with this warm spell.The other ones have flowered quite well but now there seams a lot more foliage and a lot less flowers so i presume i have seen the best of them now.Actually they are in the way now as i would like to plant something else there now,so thanks for your advice.

• Having just received my autumn catologue from Thompson and Morgan,i now know what both my lots of wallflowers are.One is Sugar Rush and the other is Most Scented and they are both  Hardy bi ennials so does this mean i throw them away at the end of the season or dig them up or chop them down to ground level.I'm sorry for bringing them back up again but now i know exactly what they are i am hoping someone can help me.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

http://floranova.co.uk/products/wallflower/f1-sugar-rush

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/wallflower-most-scented-mix/p93118TM

Both of these  are the more 'traditional wallflower' biennial types and are best discarded after flowering this year.

Bowles Mauve and other similar perennial types http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=740  will go on to flower for several years, but are usually not long lived and it is better to hedge your bets and take cuttings each year to keep a young stock. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.