London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
6 messages
26/11/2013 at 17:25

I planted one of these back in May and have been looking forward to fiery red leaves for several weeks now, but they are still just pinky green.  Is it because it's a young plant - just under 2' high, or perhaps because it's in a part of the garden that doesn't get any sun between October and February?  

26/11/2013 at 17:32

Everything's very slow this autumn - there are still some shrubs and trees around here that haven't shown their best colour yet. 

03/12/2013 at 10:03

Ok, we are now into December, and apart from one reddish tinged leaf, all the others are pale yellow and beginning to drop. Is this what I am to expect in future?  

03/12/2013 at 11:15

It could be a combination of both the causes you suggest - I think I'd photograph it and date the photo.  Give it another year and see how it does - if there is no improvement speak to the supplier and ask whether they've had any problems with others from the same source. 

I take it you've had some good frosts up there in Yorkshire by now?

03/12/2013 at 11:28

how a plant colours up is dependent on the weather and position of the plant. It needs good sun earlier in the year to colour up really well and then early frosts. Without those conditions it's going to be mediocre. A plant uses red pigments to shield too much sun. So, no sun - no colour.

03/12/2013 at 12:23

Mine is a bare root planted out in April and was really red.  The leaves have all fallen now.  It is planted next to a fence in a North East facing garden although due to the garden being long it does get sun.  I have noticed a lot of plants behind where h should be with leaves changing/falling though so give it a bit more time 

email image
6 messages