Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Euonymus Aleuts

I have just purchased an euonymus alatus and was wondering if I could plant it in a large container.

• I suppose it depends how big it is.? I start most of my shrubs, bushes & trees off in containers when they are small

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Mine was in a pot to start off with but decided to plant it in the back border as I just love the fiery red foliage come Autumn . Must admit it's fared better in the ground though. image

• Ok thanks, it's.about a foot high.
  • Thanks Jean R, does it needs quite a bit of room in the border?
  • Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

You can restrict the size of the alatus by pruning in late winter but I wouldn't say it needs a great deal of room.  I've only pruned it once. Mine doesn't appear to be a fast grower - I think mine is a Compacticus image From what I remember anyway.image

• We had one in a large tub for about 4 years, it went into the garden about 18 months ago. It hasn't "taken off" just solid gentle growth (but we are a long way north!) I love them.

• Thanks all, I think I'll put it In a pot and like you say prune it if necessary. Have you got any other Eunonymus in the garden?