Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Evergreen Grass With Purple Flowers In Summer

ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/LadyClarington/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/20140223_100308_zps3glsacxh.jpg

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/LadyClarington/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/20140223_100316_zpsiwecvlae.jpg

I brought this plant two Augusts ago and plonked it in a pot that you can now see its getting far too big for! When I brought it it was flowering purple / pink little flowers in balls - similar to chives.

Now I made a point of sinking all the plant labels into the soil with the plant so this situation wouldn't happen - but try as I might I just can't find the label for this one!

I need to repot it (don't know whether it'd be better off in the ground) and would like to know whether I could divide it somehow. If anyone could identify it so I could research what it likes / dislikes before I get the trowel out I'd be terribly grateful!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Is it a real  grass Clari ?

What sort of flowers has it got?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Armeria maritima perhaps?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

It sounds like thrift as fleurisa says. not a grass.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

That looks like the one Fleurisa! Or if not very similar. I didn't realise it wasn't a proper grass as such - all I can remember is that was the "section" I pulled it from at the garden centre! (Went for lots of grasses as my partner has awful hay fever so I wanted as much texture and height as possible with minimal flowers).

Thanks ever so much. At least I know now what kind of sunlight levels it likes before I find it a new home. image

(Not to mention get a plant label in it quick so I don't forget again!!)

Verdun - how is best to divide these? Do I just put a spade through the middle?

Sorry if it sounds a bit thick but that's all I have done in the past but its there's a better way I'd love to try it.