London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
29/06/2013 at 19:05

IDGM

i used flowers of sulphur many years ago to acidify  a raised heather bed....for those acid loving summer varieties.....and it was effective.  Didn't measure change in ph....meant to after 6 months.....so can't categorically say it lowered it but think it did. My concern was that it could make the soil inhospitable to worms etc there.  Any ideas  about that?

Interesting thread. ,

29/06/2013 at 19:47

Sulphur doesn't harm the worms, but they don't like it. They'll avoid it and move to another part of the bed. I'd only use it around the roots. It appears to work better in light soils, as heavy soils act as a buffer apparently. The finer the sulphur the better, so dust is much better than chips. Bacteria in the soil need a large surface area to affect the sulphur, releasing H+ ions in the soil. Then we get happy ericaceous plants! 

30/06/2013 at 18:39

Wow, thank you for all the replies! I was out all day yesterday due to broken washing machine (new one now purchased and installed) and have been in the garden all day today, so what a lovely surprise to return to this thread and find so many great suggestions, thank you.

Some of the plants mentioned I already have in other beds, so I'll probably pick something I haven't got. I will research all your suggested plants and let you know what I go for...

01/09/2013 at 18:53

Sorry for the long break, have just remebered i didn't update this thread. Got a nice escallonia apple blossom for the back of the bed and a magenta cistus rock rose in front of it

01/09/2013 at 19:49

Sounds nice Jennie. Esc apple blossom is a good form.  And colour co.-coordinated too with the rock rose!  

02/09/2013 at 09:00

glad you got sorted out Jennifer - would love to see some pictures at some point

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages