Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Excess bulbs - can I still plant?

Due to a combination of enthusiastic online shopping and a having to be away for work, I find myself with a glut of spring flowering bulbs inc daffodils, tulips, alliums, crocus etc.

Can I plant any of these now in Jan/Feb, or should I be storing them for planting next autumn?

Any tips or advice very gratefully appreciated... none of my friends garden! :(

• Get them into the ground as soon as possible. Unlike storing seeds bulbs aren't programmed for long term storing in a cupboard or garage etc. Getting them in now will give them the best chance to succeed . They'll probably flower a bit later than usual, and at worst at least they will be more established for next season. Go for it ☺

• Thank you! That's this weekend's job then...

In terms of prioritisation, am I right in thinking the tulips will suffer the least for storage? And I should prioritise getting the other ones in the ground, eg daffodils? ??

• I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve a load of daffs that need to go in to a brand new bed. What I’ve done is left them outside in for two days so they started to sprout, I’ll plant them shallower than normal so the green shoots are showing and bury them deeper later if they need it. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I'd plant them at the proper depth ... it won't do them any harm ... they're less likely to flower if they're planted too shallowly.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I'd get the daffodils and crocus in first if you have to prioritise and tulips as soon after as possible while the weather is still cold. The bulbs need this cold period to get their biological clock ticking, so to speak, so the sooner the better and at normal planting depth as previously said by the other members. All great advice. Happy planting.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

I agree start with Crocus and daffs then tulips and lastly alliums but don't leave it much longer image

Last edited: 13 January 2018 09:25:54

• Weather turns sunday night, we have today and then a rainy tomorrow to get this done. 

• Just by way of update: planted over 200 bulbs! Only some tulips left now. Took hours but fingers crossed they'll flower albeit later.

I read somewhere about chilling tulip bulbs in the fridge to mimic winter - would that be of any benefit, before planting them out (as it's a bit later)?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

well done. I'd get the tulips in ASAP. I think we're getting enough cold now for them to be happy image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• KaymayKaymay Posts: 79

Well although all my tulips went in last year and are now sprouting, on my "just popping in whilst passing " visit to a local garden centre and seeing all tulip packs of 10 reduced to 50p, I just could not resist buying, going out in pouring rain and gale force winds to get them planted asap. Will report later in the spring time !