Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Favourite trees - sunny but windy site

a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

I am going to be planting some specimen trees come the bare root season and i would like some suggestions of favourites and stunners. 

Dont mind what kind, i would like possibly 10 or 12 small to medium really great looking trees.  Soil is slightly alkaline.  Its an open sunny but windy site.  I am not looking for trees as a shelter belt, hedges and wind fabric are in already.  

I dont want groups of birch or fruit trees (these are planted already). 

What will tolerate a bit of wind and look great? 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I like the Whitebeams. Lovely silvery foliage and a proper 'tree' shape. They grow quite happily in most positions and soils. image

I think anything you put in will need to be well staked until they get established if it's windy though. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Rowans are my personal favourite.  Quite happy in wind, attractive flowers, berries & autumn colour.  Yellow, red, orange, pink or white berries.  

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    Amelanchier for me - spring blossom and autumn colour.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

Ooo amelanchia does look nice.  Do you know what type is best Hogweed? 

Strawberry tree says sheltered and acid soil.

I think its worth a try then, thanks. 

Im open to shrubs to grow as shrubs, but for a different location.  Pheasantberry looks really nice.