Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Feeding Bulbs That Have Gone Over

I have a couple of little pots of crocus that I'd planted up for indoors which have now finished flowering (and various other bulbs that are still flowering).

What's the best thing to feed them with now?

Cheers,

Jean.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I plant mine in the garden when the weather is OK to work in and I dig in a bit of general organic fertiliser.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • when they have finished flowering ,i let the green leaves die back then put into the garden or into bucket of earth for next year(keeping out doors and watered)but to be honest it is best to put in the garden .

• Thanks, I was thinking of planting them out later, but thought that now they've finished flowering they had to be fed before the foliage dies down?

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

You should plant them out immediately they've finished flowering. I know there's talk of cold shock and the frost harming them, but believe me, I've been doing this for years and all the bulbs have thrived - and my windowsills haven't been cluttered up with sad, dying, bulbs. Feed with a high potash fertilizer outside.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine go in the garden when they're over, then I can forget about them. I'd probaly forget about them anyway and that way they're OK

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Cheers folks,image the forecast isn't too cold so I'll plant them out asap.