Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fern, Ferns and more Ferns

Hello folks. I hope I'm positing in the correct section. I bought several baby ferns  last month at the beginning of November. I live In NYC and it's currently winter. (I keep them indoor and in the small pots they came in). I notice I have to water them daily  or every other day sometimes. Or else they start to wilt. Once I water them they perk up. The roots are pretty packed in the pots. Should I wait till spring to repot like it's recommend or repot now.

P.S. I'm new to plants, I've only planted roses in my back yard during the summer or grow aloe vera. 

Thanks for your help!!!!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

If their roots are packed and they're thirsty every day it seems to me they're asking to be potted o into at least the next size up.   I have no idea what kind of planting medium they would need nor what is available in NY (this is a British based forum with just a few ex-pat contributors in Europe and Oz) but your local garden/plant store should be able to help.

I would then pot them on again in spring.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • THanks for responding Obelixx, 

Hello England lol, I had no idea this was a British based forum.  I have already purchased my soil, so I've got that covered. 

I figured repoting them made sense. But didn't want to over do it and somehow kill them or slow down their progression. 

Thanks again for your advice.I will repot themimage

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Hi Just Tesha and welcome - question for you - I'm travelling to NYC mid March - what will the weather be like ? 

enjoy your ferns - I have 4 in the garden and love them ?

• Hi Tray14, Thank you for the welcome!!!!

Its hard to predict from now, But its usually between 49F- 55F Degrees. 

And I definitely will enjoy all 10 of my ferns. And safe travels and have fun!!!

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

Hi Tesha,

Welcome to the forum!

A few tips for fern cultivation:

1. Most ferns prefer shade - whether this is full or dappled depends upon the species. Very few will tolerate long periods of full sun.

2. They appreciate a humid environment - when growing ferns in pots in the house, you can stand them on a tray of damp gravel and mist spray them to keep humidity up. In centrally-heated homes, the air is usually quite dry, which doesn't suit ferns at all.

3. They like moist, but not water-logged, soil or potting compost. In the wild, ferns are usually found on sloping sites where ground water isn't static. Some ferns like boggy conditions, but again, it depends upon the species.

4. Ferns have a low nutrient requirement and when grown in the ground they rarely need feeding. Over-feeding only causes growth to go weak and leggy. When grown in pots it can be beneficial to feed them sparingly  - use a general balanced liquid fertiliser at half-strength, but only feed occasionally.

5. There are many fully frost hardy ferns, but many which are very tender, so hardiness also depends upon the species.

Do you know what species your ferns are? Knowing this will enable more specific growing advice.

With best wishes

pbff

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • Hey pbff

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I have 3 Frosted, 2 Baby Boston, 2 Large Boston, and 1 baby Lemon Button Fern!!! 

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

Boston Ferns (Nephrolepis) are excellent indoor plants. They are relatively easy to care for, tolerating brighter light than many other ferns, although low, filtered light is preferable. Turn the pots regularly so that they do not grow directionally towards the light. They require particularly high levels of humidity and a moist growing medium; water when the top 3/4" or so of compost feels dry. They are not hardy and the temperature of their growing environment should not be allowed to fall below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, keep away from air vents and other sources of draught. Dead fronds should be removed regularly.

Lemon Button Fern (Nephrolepis cordifolia 'Duffii') is one of the smallest Boston Ferns. It is ideal for terrariums or as a houseplant. It has pretty much the same requirements as other Boston Ferns, except that it only likes low, filtered light.

I am not sure as to the identity of your Frosted Fern. Do you perhaps mean Frosty Fern, which is actually not a fern at all, but a clubmoss, Selaginella kraussiana?

You might find the following websites of some interest:

The British Pteridological Society www.ebps.org.uk

The American Fern Society www.amerfernsoc.org

With best wishes

pbff

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌