Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fertiliser

Hi,

I was just wondering whether I should still be giving my plants any liquid fertiliser at this time of year? I am getting new growth on my clematis and my fuchsias (both potted and planted) are still flowering like crazy but their established leaves are turning yellow.

My patio roses are also sending out new growth and producing heaps of flowers.

I know this is the time of year when plants are readying themselves for winter but I think this Indian summer has confused them a bit and I don't know what to do for the best. Liquid feed or should I just let the plants get on without it and mulch with compost/well-rotted manure as the weather cools?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Personally, I wouldn't feed now but I know what you mean about the weather - the plants don't know if it's New York or New Year. I've just fed my sweet peas (in pots) because they'll still flower for another month anyway and were sticking a bit with the cold August weather here, but I've not fed the ones in borders, or any other flowering plant in the ground or in a pot, because they've had plenty over the summer. They've had enough nutrition to see them through till they become dormant.

Other people may feel differently though image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you. I didn't think so but as this is my first (ever) year of gardening, I second guess myself sometimes.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811

All I feed in my garden at this time of year are dahlias as they will flower into November if there are no early frosts!! I use half strength tomato feed, this also helps build up the tubers for next year.

• If your soil is in decent nick, you shouldnt need to feed now til next year, i would look to mulch with well rotted manure in late autumn/ winter, that will give everything the best start next year image

The only exceptions i have are for things in pots, fruit and veg which are still cropping image
  • BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431
    I shall give my potted agapanthus one more feed. It definitely improves the quality of the flowers the following year. They were wonderful this year!
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Gave my containers their last phostrogen feed for the year today, pointless feeding when the nights start becoming longer than the days image

• there are that many fertilisers and different plants need diferent feeds,if you use the ehow site on plant feeds you will see.Which food do you use for Hebes which like a weekly feed.