London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
04/07/2013 at 22:28

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26784.jpg?width=265&height=350&mode=max

04/07/2013 at 22:30

ha ha.. forgot to add info...cple wks ago I asked what this was...so thought I`d update you all.. .its now its in full bloom..like fried egg flowers..just love it..

05/07/2013 at 00:09

It is a lovely, useful plant. It also self seeds so you never run out, although it does pop up all over.

05/07/2013 at 07:05

gorgeous. thanks for posting.

05/07/2013 at 09:18

i have it and it hasnt gone mad in my garden i usually find one or two plants growing somewhere and just let them get on with it, they know where they want to be

05/07/2013 at 10:00

Good morning ive got caterpillars eating my willow tree does anyone have any suggestions please on how to get rid of them?

05/07/2013 at 10:02

Hallo jean. A favourite of mine also - did you know there is also a yellow foliaged form with he same white flowers. Regards.

05/07/2013 at 10:03

Hi bev- if you start a little thread specifically for your query  - and get a pic on if possible- someone will be able to help  

If it's on this one it'll probably get missed.

05/07/2013 at 10:20

Hello Keen nice to see you sharing your extensive knowledge on another thread

05/07/2013 at 11:24

Used to have the yellow foliage one but I wasn't too keen on it. Someone had the semi double flowered one on here recently and that looked really nice.

05/07/2013 at 11:58

Hi all, I have feverfew in my garden too.  It does seed itself everywhere but the plants have very shallow roots and are easy to pull up so then you can leave the ones you want to flower prettily in the borders.

05/07/2013 at 14:09

Hi keen1 & everyone else with gt responsesw...... did`nt know there was another type.. this one just landed in my garden..hence reason i did`nt know what it was...will defo save seed for my daughter...maybe birds put it there.. so thank you my feathered friends/ talking of that.. I hope u r all putting much needed water out for them...

07/07/2013 at 10:56

Hallo Jean. Yes looking after they birds really well - plenty of food variety and nice clean water. Apart from the fact most of us keen gardeners love them are you that bit extra and a regular watcher - perhaps even photographer. Mentioned  earlier heard/saw first Cuckoo this morning - flew over quite low calling and would have made a great pic - had water can in hand not camera so lost out.. ( mentioned just as a matter of interest.).

07/07/2013 at 11:26

Hallo jean - all. Yes looking after the birds well - plenty of food and nice clean water. Just for interest and ref Feverfew I have  a repro of Gerards Herbal ( 16th cent and written in old English ( Elizabethan). Heres how he describes it   :-    "Of Fetherfew". Feverfew bringeth forth many little round stalkes, divided into certaine branches. The leaves are tender, diversly torne and jagged, and nicked on the edges like the first and nethermost leaves of Coriander but greater. The floures  stand on the tops of the branches, with a small pale of white leaves, set  round about a yellow ball or button, like the wild field Daisie. The root is hard and rough, the whole plant is of a light whitish greene colour, of a strong smell, and bitter taste.              Note please I have just copied this - not from memory.

07/07/2013 at 13:48

Gt Tit

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26888.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

have not caught many on camera but this one was easy..fledgling of Gt tit...left too early so got brill pic..parents looked after him though & he flew next day...about 6 babies in nest box..going back to childhood I look to see if any eggs left to keep..there was one..remember as a kid I loved the medium size egg of speckled blue.. think it was blackbirds...

07/07/2013 at 13:50

hi Keen1... great info you sent on feverfew... last yr I had blue tits plus gt tits but only gt tits this yr... not many blue tits about like few yrs ago.. looks like gt tits have taken over abit...

was up 5.30am today as cannot take heat...bird food out plus water etc..enjoying the peace of start of the day.. indoors now like a prisoner LOL...with fan on..

07/07/2013 at 15:44

Anyone ever tried using it for headaches or as an insect repellent? Apparently it tastes horrible!

07/07/2013 at 19:47

I use it for headaches, it may be psychological, but I find it works. I eat 2 leaves at the onset of a headache, but as Keen wrote it is very bitter, but I eat it very quickly and remember all medicine would taste awful if they didn't flavour it or hide it in capsules! May I just add that I love the old spellings of ancient tomes!

08/07/2013 at 11:21

Hallo jean. Must not say too much here ref birds - but perhaps since they are such a vital part of the garden ( flying flowers?) a thread called say Garden Birds would be interesting?. I mentioned that we get far fewer of them here (mostly the Greats,Blues, Marshand Coal Tits) in addition to Woodpeckers, Blackbirds and a few others. Had more in the garden when living near Colchester and miss very much those I no longer see living here. Regards and best wishes.

08/07/2013 at 12:42

so where r u now then keen1 !

1 to 20 of 24 messages