London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
16 messages
22/02/2013 at 00:59
I have a camelia bonomiana planted in a pot in the correct compost and I think in a good position. It's been fed and watered at the correct times so it shouldn't have any cause for complaint.....but there are no signs of any buds at all and it's supposed to be an early flowering variety. The leaves are green and glossy though. This will be it's third year. I thought maybe it needed to mature before flowering, but thinking back it had blossoms on when I bought it. Any advice will be very gratefully received.
22/02/2013 at 08:29
I'm wondering whether you might be over feeding it, so you get lush foliage rather than flowers.
22/02/2013 at 11:13

I was told that the buds that flower this year were formed towards the end of last year. How big is it?

22/02/2013 at 11:55
Have you pruned it?
22/02/2013 at 12:37
There is an article in the current RHS magazine about growing camellias in pots.
22/02/2013 at 12:42
Thanks for your comments. Pretty sure I haven't over fed it though and I read they don't need pruning.It's about 2 -3 feet high.
22/02/2013 at 13:05

Its not a plant that needs yearly pruning, only when its reachd your desired height or spread.

22/02/2013 at 13:09

Like rhodos and azaleas, they produce their flower buds in summer.  If they experience drought at this period, they do not produce flowers so make sure the compost doesn't dry out during that period and that it gets some special camellia, rose or tomato fertiliser to encourage flower formation.

22/02/2013 at 16:35
I don't think anything dried out last year!! Seriously, I've been really careful with this plant and it's had special camelia feed. Don't know where I've gone wrong.
22/02/2013 at 18:57
Hiya lilly3, is your camelia in full shade? On this forum we had a discussion about camellias growing in the shade. To me, camellias are partial shade lovers but do not flower very well,in full shade. Some camellias are damaged by frost.....the BUDS, not the shrub itself......so maybe yours was affected this way?? What variety is it?
23/02/2013 at 10:41
Hello Verdun. It's a camelia bono I'd say it's in only partial shade and east facing
23/02/2013 at 10:44
Hello Verdun. It's a camelia bonomiana and I'd say it's in only partial shade and east facing. I can't see any buds at all. I think I'll move it to another area of the garden and try for next year.
23/02/2013 at 12:18

I understand the problems with the grow camellias in Europe. Perhaps some tips from me. Camellias would an acidic soil substrate, because there are almost moor(bog)bed-plants.So is lime-free water to the pour to use (rainwater).

The preparation for the winter is important.From about August is fertilized until may no longer and less will be poured into the autumn.So, the shoots mature right up to the end of the year.

Camellias need a cold period and should therefore should not too warm are but below 12 ° C in the winter quarter frost-free, (the perfect resting phase is 0 to 10 ° C), otherwise no flower buds are trained.

Camellias can overwinter quite 6 weeks, to two months in the cool basement (similar, such as Oleander).But it is important that the Camellia plants in the basement get too dry air.A cool, frost free greenhouse, where the corresponding humidity is guaranteed would be optimal.

The be-all and end-all of proper wintering is in addition to the temperature, a proper humidity.And that is relatively high: over 60%.If the hibernation in the winter garden doesn't work out and the plants drop their buds, then it could be too dry.Newly purchased camellias can have gotten too much heat and dryness in the Salesrooms.When watering, make sure, that the growing pot not staying in cover pots full of water.

In January/February the Camellia may be set not to quickly warm. Now need plenty of light! For the blooming time, a temperature of 6 to 12 ° C is sufficient at night - the plants stand still so cool. Best luck and a nice weekend, ThaiGer.

11/02/2014 at 19:11

I HAVE ONE ALSO ABOUT FOUR YERS OLD GROWING WELL BUT NO BLOOMS 

11/02/2014 at 22:48

This is part of the common, 'japonica' side of the family.  It prfers a shady aspect.  Soil must be acdic or neutral.  It takes at least twenty years to mature.  When it flowers, it flowers in spring.  It hates being too wet.

Might I suggest.  If you feed your plant.  Select a feed that is high in potash and lower in nitrogen.

01/05/2014 at 17:32

I have one of these too. It was covered in bloom when I bought it about 5 years ago--since then it has had precisely one bud that opened. . Last early spring I moved it to shadier quarters--north facing. It produced masses of shoots but they all died back and there were no buds this spring. Yes it is in ericaceous compost, has been fed and is regularly watered. Should I give up?

I have been successful with other camellias--my Jury's yellow, also in a pot has been happy for about 20 years and this year was its best ever.

email image
16 messages