Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 26 replies

Plants

Flower identification

small bulb with crocosmia type leaf with 6 large flowers in each plant eentreach flower with 6 white petals and a purple c

Jump to latest post

1 to 20 of 26 replies

Plant grows about 3 ft tall

see pictures

I am trying to identify the plant so I can look after them during winter so they grow again next year.

Tried to upload pictures but cannot find how to do it

Sorry the whole description didnt come out above for some reason

Bulb grown crocosmia type plant with 6 large (3 to 4 ") white seperate flowers at top of plant all flowers 6 petals with long stamens (4) and a purple centre to flower.

Can anyone tell me how to upload pictures of the plant in question?

I have tried clicking on insert an amiage but that doesnt work

4thPanda

Julian, click on the tree on the tool bar of the text box, to the right of the smiley face and the left of the spell check 

4th panda

many thanks but I have already tried that without success

Advertisement

fidgetbones

Are the flowers in a spike, one on top of the other, or all together at the top?

Try looking up gladioli and see if that fits. there are lots of varieties and colours, but the flowers are basically the same shape.

4thPanda

Oh. In that case I have no idea. Sorry  Maybe someone else will have an idea 

Many thanks to 4th Panda I have now uploaded pics

4thPanda

Yay! Don't know what they are (sorry ) but they are beautiful 

fidgetbones

They are Gladiolus murielae    aka Acidanthera

Fidgetbones

Well done!!!

They are right!  So pleased I have now identified them.  Go to the top of the class!

Now, the next question!

Should I dig them up and put them in greenhouse or a dark garage for the winter to protect them?

fidgetbones

Allow the leaves to go yellow and die down. Lift and store the corms frost free ( but not too warm) Plant deep next spring in a sunny position in well drained soil.

nutcutlet

They're rather nice. Maybe I'll put them on next year's list

Advertisement

nutcutlet

cross out the maybe, I will. Thanks fb