Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Flower or Weed?

Can someone please tell me if this is a flower or weed? 

I planted wild seed flowers last year and this has started popping up all over my garden, but I am not sure if it is a weed or flower ? 

Close up

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

No easy to say but would say its a weed , what type , no sure

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I've sown Candytuft and have lots of shoots but 2 different types, so I have the same dilemma!!  Although I think the 'weed' ones may actually be what was growing there last year, I'm leaving them to see what happens image

Cant help with your plant ID though sorry image

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Could be a Willowherb, in which case pull it out before it goes to seed.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It looks like a willowherb to me.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

And me.  Pull a bit up - young willowherb tops will break off leaving the roots and if you dig those out they are very shallow.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I'm agreeing with willowherb! It's one of the nuisance weeds that loves my garden. Must be a good seed bank in my soil as I never let it flower or go to seed and it still pops up all over the place every year!! image It's easy to hoik out the ground though!

• Are these the ones that have purple flowers? I am creating a "wild flower" section in my garden - attract the bees & butterflys. I am just thinking if it is the purple one I may keep this plant and pull out the rest. If it is not the on I am thinking of though and it just stays green then it shall be out tomorrow image 

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Are you thinking of Rosebay Willowherb, Chamerion angustifolium? It's not that, it's an Epilobium species. They have smallish to very small pinkish flowers and produce huge amounts of seed.