London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
10 messages
06/07/2014 at 12:10

This massive plant appeared in the border in spring, shot up in no time with huge foliage & is now flowering. The speed & size suggests a weed to me & the slightly tatty look of the leaves & flowers. The flower is a recent picture, the foliage from a few weeks ago, it is larger still now & multiheaded in flowering.

However, I did buy some unusual plants from a plant sale that were unlabelled & I don't want to pull it out if it is some type of perennial sunflower or similar. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51736.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51737.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

06/07/2014 at 12:16
06/07/2014 at 12:17
Ooo, never seen that before, i like
06/07/2014 at 12:18

Don't know what it is but it's certainly impressive.  It could be one of the dandelion/knapweed/sow thistle group which are common weeds.  If the flowers start to turn into fruiting heads with loads of dandelion-like fruits, whip 'em off and get 'em in the bin/incinerator asap or it'll be all over the garden and neighbouring counties.  In the meantime I should just enjoy it as an architectural plant. 

06/07/2014 at 12:19

Ah well - there you are.  There's always someone who knows!  Thanks Dove (and congratulations on appearing in print!)

06/07/2014 at 12:21

It is well named - magnificent!!! 

07/07/2014 at 09:00

That's excellent, thank you! I knew someone on here would know. 

I may have to move it though, as it's right on top of the David Austin Golden Celebration rose I planted a couple of years ago which is still really low & floppy. It's totally hiding it really! 

Any ideas when the best time to move it would be? It would be a shame to lose it, perhaps I should leave it to seed & collect some & wait until next year then if there are more it won't feel so risky. Or just cut it back hard after flowering, a perennial should survive that I guess. 

07/07/2014 at 09:17

you can cut it back any time but I'd move it after it dies back in autumn

08/07/2014 at 11:10

Thanks!

25/08/2014 at 08:12

That's excellent, thank you! I knew someone on here would know. 

I may have to move it though, as it's right on top of the David Austin Golden Celebration rose I planted a couple of years ago which is still really low & floppy. It's totally hiding it really! 

Any ideas when the best time to move it would be? It would be a shame to lose it, perhaps I should leave it to seed & collect some & wait until next year then if there are more it won't feel so risky. Or just cut it back hard after flowering, a perennial should survive that I guess. 

email image
10 messages