Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

In my garden I have a flowering cordyline and was wondering if anyone could give me any info in it? It's the first time I've seen it. 

Hi Ritchie, nothing unusual its what they do when happy  .  I've not got one myself but have heard that you should leave the flowering spike on after it has finished - dont deadhead it.  Apparently dead heading stops the plant from flowering next year - not sure how true that is maybe someone on here will know a bit more.

Hi Paula , well it's funny you should say that because there was a dead spike on the plant when I moved into the house and I took it off thinking it would come again. It's been 5 years and this will be the first time I get to see it flower. up bid I leave it this year you think it will come again next year again? 

Just normal

Apparently so Ritchie, leave it on and see what happens next year.  

I've had a cordyline for many years — certainly 10.  Just this week, I've noticed that it's putting up its first ever flower spike — in October!

are you sure it's a Cordyline leaves looks more simiar to the Phormiums that I have. I can't rmember who told me that they don't often flower in this country but mine have flowered every year so far. Striking flower spike.

My Phormium flowering in June. It has never produced in the Autumn. I always cut the spike down when the flowers drop.

Lovely plant Richie- but yes - that is a phormium!

I had one of the standard green NZ flax in a previous garden and it often flowered- but in summer as KEF says.

As mentioned Ritchie, you have a Phormium tenax and not a Cordyline. You can leave the flowers to set seed and cut off the stalk when you feel like it. It produces lots of black glossy seeds that you can germinate. Take a good few years to bulk up, at first it looks like grass.