7 messages
25/04/2014 at 22:44

Well, so much for foxglove illumination pink being perennial.  My 3 were superb last year, survived the cold winter of 13 and flowered all summer.  The wet did  for 'em.  They are dead.

Will now claim back on them......QVC purchase.  

The wet winter will claim a lot of casualties although some outdoor dahlias are showing life not all are.  !!!!

25/04/2014 at 23:16

Good luck with that, verdun.

26/04/2014 at 08:08

My foxglove illumination plants are there, but not looking very happy - stunted is the word I think that would best describe them

26/04/2014 at 09:51

I have found it difficult to get Illumination established in my heavy clay soil...tho I have conditioned it. I have however managed to overwinter 3 plug plants...which don't look very happy but well see what happens. I'm very excited however to see that my digitalis Foxtrot which is not supposed to be perennial has survived and is looking good. I was very impressed with its continued flushes of blooms last summer...it did just what it said on the label. I'm hoping that my digitalis Leopardskin ...also supposed to be repeat flowering will match Foxtrots performance. The only thing to work out now is how to propagate these repeat flowerers.

26/04/2014 at 09:59

forgotten to mention ....the digitalis  Foxtrot (repeat flowerer)  which survived the winter was I THINK a substantial side shoot rather than the parent. I remember leaving it in situ and pulling away dead leaves and roots  from what looked like the original parent......but have never had success in the past  from detaching and attempting to propagate digitalis side shoots. Does anyone have any suggestions about how  to propagate the NEW breeds of perennial and or repeat flowering digitalis....for insurance policies against the winter.

26/04/2014 at 10:21

Have you tried cuttings?

26/04/2014 at 12:21

I understand that Illumination is sterile....so no seeds......not sure about the new repeat flowering varieties(Foxtrot and Leopardskin) , but they did not appear to set seeds last year and anyway their seeds would not necessarily come true....especially with cross  pollination from other foxgloves in the area. So yes I tried taking some offset cuttings last year as an experiment.....but with the traditional old fashioned digitalis....since I did not want to risk damaging my Illuminations which had not been looking good during the summer.as I said in my previous email I believe that my current Foxtrot is an offshoot....but left in place and not removed from the parent plant which seemed to die.

email image
7 messages