London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
8 messages
03/06/2013 at 18:24

The refreshing shade of the blue forgetmenots are lovely , are there anymore blue flowers out there to match  the same blue does anyone know ?

03/06/2013 at 19:26

Two plants with very similar coloured flowers are Brunerra and Omphaloides. They flower at about the same time as forgetmenots which may or not be a problem.

03/06/2013 at 19:51

salvia cambridge blue, meconopsis baleyii, felicia all match pretty well.

04/06/2013 at 11:31

Brunnera is lovely, has very similar flowers, slightly darker in colour, and it does not spread everywhere.  The leaves can be very good too, silver splashed or almost totally silver - good nature, has survived several harsh winters outdoors.   Saw a very pretty deep blue forget-me-not in a shop yesteray, being promoted as a 'Cheslsea flower', but I'll bet it is as much of a thug as its cousin - it is a myosotis as well.  

04/06/2013 at 12:33

a true perennial forget me not would be good and one that was sterile

04/06/2013 at 12:45

..if you would like to try something tricky,... although it can thrive in unlikely spots... you might want to have a go with 'Myosotidium Hortensia' otherwise known as the Chatham Island Forget-Me-Not... it is said to require a seaweed mulch, or at least extracts of this... being native to the shoreline of those islands near New Zealand....

worth a go for the adventurous....I tried once, and failed... but in my defence I think the slugs got it...

..a very beautiful perennial if successful... even the Daily Mirror...[of all papers..? I wouldn't have seen that one coming..] highlighted it as their 'plant of the week' a couple of years ago...

04/06/2013 at 12:50

Verdun, brunnera comes close, the flowers are virtually the same, perennial and tough.

-
04/06/2013 at 15:18

There are some species (and cultivars) of day flower (Commelina) with similar

shades of blue. They are very easy to grow.

email image
8 messages