Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Foundlings

GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

While doing a bit of weeding today, I found a nice little holly tree about 10" tall.  It's most welcome and I'll grow it on and either shape it nicely as a bush or bonsai it.  I have a lovely yew that was also a foundling that appeared.  It's about 10 years old now and a lovely column about 4' tall.

What lucky gifts have just appeared by magic in your garden?

• We have beech trees growing wild over the back fence. Most of these are at the far end of their life and are shedding branches. I've pulled up two seedlings that had taken root in my badly mown lawn. One is now several feet tall and planted just on my side of the fence and the other one is potted up for winter planting this year.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    When we moved in, the lady who had lived here hadnt been able to do any gardening for quite some time, so there were self sown ferns, rowan, holly, conifer, hawthorn and honey suckle, but my favorite discovery was quite recently, a lovely anemone blanda (i think) that lovely blue colour, its not quite the same as ones ive brought, it could be nermorosa? Not sure, but love it! image
  • GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

Bekkie, you're very lucky to find all those - weeding can be a bit like treasure hunting.  

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Same here Bekkie.  My house belonged to a very old lady.  It was then occupied by a younger couple who pretty much left it to it's own devices. When I moved in I found (and am still finding) tiny holly trees, two baby boxes (which I have now shaped and potted - they are 4ft tall) and loads of other seedlings.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    It was nice to find the self sown stuff, but i could have lived without the job lot of conifers which i am still removing almost 9 years on! image