Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fox gloves

Evening all

i took out 2 failing hollyhocks and replaced with 2 foxgloves. Apart from the fact that they looked stunning and had bees all over them. They were at the end of the flowering season but couldn't resist. I have planted and left alone and the flower stem is still on.

problem is I know nothing much about them. How long do they last for, are they only multiplied by seed. I have put them on the sunniest side of my garden as 'told' to by my dad. Any hints tips thoughts would be most welcome.

• Hi Red Dahlia,

Foxgloves are biennials and will grow from seed in year one and then flower in year two.  So hopefully you will find seedlings growing in the area around where they are planted this coming Spring and develop into a flowering plant the following year.

I have transplanted the seedlings to other locations with varying success.

• So will my original plant last and flower again??

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Not if it's the biennial kind.  The aim of any plant is to reproduce itself.  Annuals grow, flower, set seed and die in one year.  Biennials do it over 2 years.  Perennials can last anything from 3 to many years and will usually flower form their second year on.

Some foxgloves are perennial but are short lived and tend to last only 3 or 4 years but they set seed and self sow quite liberally so, as the original response said, keep an eye out for seedlings next spring and transplant them to where you want them to grow.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • In the wild, foxgloves are found in woodland and like a bit of shade. I try to give them some shade in the garden as well. They do produce an amazing amount of seed, as others have said. It's worth checking the old flower stem to see if there are still seeds present, then you could sow some in a tray or pots and just leave in a corner until they germinate. The plants can then be placed where you want them in the spring.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Red dahlia, are they illumination series foxgloves?

I can't think of any others that would still be flowering. If so they don't set seed. They may be perennial but probably the frost will kill them.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Patsy F, what is the name of that foxglove, it sounds wonderful.image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I had Dalmation peach flowering for most of the summer, repeating when I cut the main stem down. The usual apricot one is 'suttons apricot'

• I'm not sure of the variety. They flowered till about October then just the flower stem. I will route around for the plant labels, gosh again I am amazed at the type of variety. I hope they do last through till next year! image

• I'm sure these were perennial, I'm usually so careful to ensure that. They were right next to a perennial sunflower , a pink and a white with crimsen spots. It's raining otherwise I would be out with my torch looking for the name. 

looks like i ke I may be routing around at dads for seedlings if my 2 don't come through, I hoped they would add some height and something for the bees.